• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my roommate is selling drugs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glsinsa

What is the name of your state? FL

Help! I have signed a 10 month lease to rent a room in a house from a girl I knew in high school - her dad bought and renovated the house. There are 4 of us who are living in the house going to college. Two of us are on scholarships.
The problems started on day one, she and her boyfriend smoke pot - constantly. I thought I could deal with it, but then her druggie friends started hanging out and partying until 3 or 4 in the morning. She never goes to class and is always high. The only place I can go in the house is my room because there are always at least 6-8 people hanging out and doing drugs although the lease I signed says I am to have full use of the house.
She recently started selling drugs from the house and told me that she's so lucky because she gets her drugs for free. Her dad calls 5 times a day and asks what the thermostat is set on because he said we are keeping the a/c too cool. We aren't but she opens the windows to let all the smoke out and that makes the a/c come on. When I called her father about a different problem, he told me to talk to his daughter. When I did, she yelled at me and told me never to call her father again "he's a busy man."
The last straw happened last week when I was woken up at 5:00 a.m. by a complete stranger who in my room - he was looking for her room.
I attend a small private college (fewer than 2000 students) that has a zero tolerance policy for drugs. Everyone knows everyone. Any person who is found with drugs will be kicked out of school. I can't afford to lose my scholarship and I don't want to be associated with the types of activities that are going on in my house all day and night.
Can I break my lease and move out of this house - I can't take it anymore!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">