• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nassau County Ny Basement Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

griswald 52

What is the name of your state?
NEW YORK-NASSAU COUNTY-LONG ISLAND

Briefly, we signed a one year lease for a basement apartment in Nassau County, which we didn't know was illegal at the time. Now house is for sale and we are being evicted. We are contacting the real estate which rented us this illegal apartment concerning the return of our 1500 commission fee, but do we have a leg to stand on with the landlord as far as trying to recover the 1500 rent for the past 6 months being he knew it was illegal to rent? Thank you for any help!

Last edited:

fairlight

I don't believe this situation is going to turn into a windfall for you. You had a roof over your head for six months, and you don't mention having problems with the place.

longneck

i can't speak authoritatively for NY, but i am not aware of a state that requires the refunding of rent when an apartment is "illegal". that being said, if you can prove an ACTUAL financial hardship caused by the LL's negligence, you can take him to court. but an illegal apartment is not an automatic award.

for the commission, you should try asking the realty group. they probably won't refund the fee, but you might be able to get them to find a new place for you free fo charge. again, you're only going to be able to win a court case if you can prove an ACTUAL financial hardship.

snostar

We're talking about an illegal basement apartment in dirty Nassau county, they are a dime a dozen. You won't get one red cent back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">