• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to break lease for medical reasons.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gego_303

Hello,
My wife, son, and I live in West Palm Beach, FL in an appartment complex that is owned by a large company. I am an Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran. I just recently was released from the hospital after being there for 3 1/2 months with a diagnosis of Severe Chronic PTSD, and a Traumatic Brain Injury. I can no longer work, and my income has drastically been cut. We just can't afford to stay here, and I have been directed, and strongly encouraged by my Dr.s to stay closer to family. So my wife and I have decided to move up to Jacksonville, FL where family is.
Because of the change in pay, we can no longer afford to stay here, and can not afford to move and and pick up another lease. We are caught between a rock and a hard place right now.
Are there any laws that protect us in this situation, or are we going to still be obligated to the apartments to still pay the rent? We have already talked to the property manager, but she says that there is nothing that she can do to assist us.
Please help with some addvise!

Alaska landlord

First let me thank you for your service to our country. Have you tried communicating with the owners or parent company?

I don't have anything to offer in the way of legal help, but you may try some of the organizations that help service members.

Cvillecpm

Your BEST option is to explain your situation to manager and regional manager if possible...a doctor prescription/letter may be in order and any vet advocates you can engage.

There is no get out of lease because of medical issues card.

ManchVegas

Write a Press Release

God Bless you and thank you for your service.

All things considered, I believe there is some sort of protection for military . This amounts to a relocation due to your injuries in service to the US.

Speaking as a political activist and a landlord, if you get ANY grief whatsoever, forget the management company. Do a press release with your Congressman or Senator. You will find no rental company will want that exposure and you will be allowed to leave without penalty. The 2010 election cycle is not that far away!:p

Indiana Filer

God Bless you and thank you for your service.

All things considered, I believe there is some sort of protection for military . This amounts to a relocation due to your injuries in service to the US.

Speaking as a political activist and a landlord, if you get ANY grief whatsoever, forget the management company. Do a press release with your Congressman or Senator. You will find no rental company will want that exposure and you will be allowed to leave without penalty. The 2010 election cycle is not that far away!:p
Please ignore ManchVegas. He has no clue about anything of which he speaks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">