• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a Reason to Evict?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I recently decided to rent out a room (with kitchen privlages) in my house. The person I found has been here for about two months now and I'm having second thoughts about her. Everything that is "shared" like Kitchen, Fridge, even recycle bin has become a point of disagreement. She been demanding about the kitchen space she has, and keeps asking for more when there is no more. She is trying to set the house rules. I now feel like a stranger in my own house. Can I evict for these reasons? There is no lease other then a month-to-month verbal agreament. I don't want any trouble if I dicide to go this route so trying to cover my bases. Thanks for any advice.

To avoid a problem, give her 30 days WRITTEN notice to move out, and & you can always just say that you decided you didnt' want a roomate. But you need to give 30 days notice.

HomeGuru

Torakki said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
I recently decided to rent out a room (with kitchen privlages) in my house. The person I found has been here for about two months now and I'm having second thoughts about her. Everything that is "shared" like Kitchen, Fridge, even recycle bin has become a point of disagreement. She been demanding about the kitchen space she has, and keeps asking for more when there is no more. She is trying to set the house rules. I now feel like a stranger in my own house. Can I evict for these reasons? There is no lease other then a month-to-month verbal agreament. I don't want any trouble if I dicide to go this route so trying to cover my bases. Thanks for any advice.

**A: do you have to share the toilet too? Is she the queen of the can?

Torakki

She has a seperate "can" then I, thank God, but if she didn't...
My power bill has, more then "quadrupled" in her first full month. Ugh! Can I evict on the grounds of "high maintanance"? Thanks

ENASNI

30 DAY to vacate

Are ya hairy and ERgly..
Start walking around naked... :eek:
Works for males or females...

BL

You give her a 30 day notice to move before the Rent due date .
You don't need a reason , but have to give her a 30 day notice.

That is if you give her 30 day written notice before Feb. 28th , she will have to move before March 1st , or you can start eviction proceedings .

She still would owe March's rent .

Torakki

Thanks for the advice on this. Not sure I understand that she would owe "all" of March's rent even if she has to move before the end of March? So if I give notice today, I though that I would pro-rate March's rent for 7 days of rent owed.
Today, she is requesting me to sign a rental agreement and "define" her space in the kitchen along with "who" will empty the garbage and "what dates". This little thing was the last straw.
Thanks again.....

BL

Torakki said:
Thanks for the advice on this. Not sure I understand that she would owe "all" of March's rent even if she has to move before the end of March? So if I give notice today, I though that I would pro-rate March's rent for 7 days of rent owed.
Today, she is requesting me to sign a rental agreement and "define" her space in the kitchen along with "who" will empty the garbage and "what dates". This little thing was the last straw.
Thanks again.....
You can't pro rate the months rent . You HAVE TO give proper notice .
You have to give the full 30 days notice before the first of March. The tenant pays the full month of March and can live there . The tenant has to Vacate by the 1st of April .

Hope you understand . Unless you two can come to some other agreement . If you do , get it in writting , signed by both of you .

If the tenant decides not to pay any rent for march , after about the 3rd day , file for Immediate 72 hr, eviction with the Court.

You can also sue for March's rent if they don't pay .

You could verbaly tell the tenant today ,and give the tenant a signed writen 30 days notice to move . Keep a copy .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">