• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need tenant advice (moving out, issues with walkthrough time and shower)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauram22

New York State.

Need tenant advice! So in the past few months I’ve discovered how psycho my landlord is. - My bf stays over one night a week. Once a month it might be two nights. He also comes over one morning a week, until I have to leave for work, just for a few hours. He’s only showered here once and we’re pretty much asleep half the time, lol. Well my LL complains that he’s over too often. He even asked me if he had his own place, and when I said yes, he told me I should go stay there instead of him coming here.

Told us a few months ago it was ok for bf to park behind my vehicle. He then all of a sudden freaked out and said his car is in the way, and he needs to park in a certain spot on the grass. Then, for the next few days, he put piles of wood all over that spot.

Accused my BF of smoking in the apartment. He claimed he and his wife smelled smoked. My bf said no, I would NEVER allow that. AND I WOULDN’T. He goes into his car if he wants to smoke when he’s over. He then repeated the accusation to me and commented about how even when his wife was a light smoker, she couldn’t go more than three hours without a smoke, and my bf hadn’t come outside since 10, and since it was now 1230, he must be smoking inside.

I had a 6 month lease, all utilities included. When it was up, he told me oh, no big deal, we don’t need a lease, we trust each other. I could stay as long as I wanted and they wouldn’t raise the rent in the foreseeable future. Like a month later, they told me I had to buy my own propane gas. A month after that, gave me a letter about raising rent to $850.

There’s other issues too, but those are the most prominent and I decided to get the heck out. I gave him a 30 day notice. Now here’s my two big issues:

He says he wants me out by 6 pm on Sept 30th so we can do the walk through then. I told him I might not be able to. I don’t get the keys to my new apartment till Oct 1st, and work up until then, so I will be moving my furniture the very last day, so I just have to pay for a truck one night. He insisted I’m out by 6pm, because he doesn’t want to drag anything into the next month and he wants to view the apartment in daylight. I said again, sorry, I don’t know about 6pm, because I don’t know when I’ll be able to get the truck and how many people I will have helping me. I figured I have until midnight to be out and clean, right?!

Even bigger issue. About a month ago, I came home from work at midnight and showered. It leaked everywhere. I (stupidly?), grabbed from clear sealant type stuff for leaks and put it on the side of the shower I thought was leaking. I showered a few hours later in the AM, still leaked. I texted him and let him know. He came down and recaulked the bottom but it still leaked. He told me it would take 3 days to fix and I couldn’t use the shower during that time. I offered to find another place to go that weekend, but he said, because his brother-in-law would be the one to fix it, and he was away that weekend. We decided to figure out a good time later. The next day he pulled me upstairs for 15 minutes and lecture me on only using towels to catch the water. No paper towels, no absorbent strips. That was the last I ever heard of anything. I’ve been just putting a towel down daily. Today when I gave him the notice, he asked me if it was possible within the next month to do the three day fix. I said I have nowhere else to go shower for three days! He then said he would be fixing the shower and taking the cost out of my deposit, even if he replaced the whole thing. BULL****!!!! When I moved in, he made a comment about how the walls in the bathroom and the shower were not even. The water is CLEARLY coming from a gap in the door and the stall. It seems like it started because I repositioned the showerhead. He had it in a really awkward spot, and half the water would hit the stall wall. When I moved it to try and center it more, it started going through the door and leaking. I can remove the sealant I put on myself, or pay someone to have it removed, but I’m not responsible for fixing the whole shower am I? He claimed that showers just don’t start leaking, and he knows people with the same showers for 20 years with no problems. I said I didn’t do anything to hit, like hit the door or anything. He says I’m sure you didn’t but you’re still paying for it. And that if it cost more than my deposit, I would owe a balance. o My parents said to not do anything right now, but wait for the walk through and if he still claims I’m paying to fix the whole shower, threaten to take him to court. We think he might back off then, because he collects cash rent from me in order not to pay taxes or report that income to social security. I don’t know if I should remove the sealant myself, or tell him not that I’m not paying for a whole shower, or what.

Oh yeah, he asked if it was ok if showed the apartment to other renters. I said if he gives notice, because I have two cats, a laptop, and stuff will be all over the place as I pack. He said he could text me maybe a few hours notice, because if someone calls in the morning and wants to see it that afternoon, he's going to do it. I said thats not ok, I need 24 hours notice. He didn't argue much about that, and they said they would wait until I moved out.

I’m so stressed out and upset. I’ve been renting for 10 years and have never had these issues. I’ve always received my full deposit back because I keep everything clean. He’s pissed that I put sealant on without telling him first. I don't know if I'm legally obligated to pay for a whole shower, I just can't believe that.

Gail in Georgia

1. Yes, you have until midnight of your last day to move out if that is when you wish to do this.

2. Move the showerhead back and ask the landlord to wait until you move to fix the shower.

3. The issue of showing the rental unit seems while you are living there seems to have been resolved.

Gail

954Rental

If you didn't cause damage to the shower you are not responsible for it. Let him know that you didn't not cause the problem and if he takes it out of your security deposit that you will go to small claims court to get your money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">