• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negotiating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michael325

I was looking to get some feedback on a recent situation I encountered. My girlfriend and I are currently looking for a new apartment. We are in a lease until June 1st, 2004. We went and saw a place that we both liked. The landlord gave us an application which we returned to her that same day. I had called the landlord the next day to provide the rest of the information we didn't readily have available the night before. We once again expressed our interest in the apartment. The landlady told me she would call me the next day to let us know if we got the apartment. She called two days later, left a message saying that she has decided to go with us for the apartment, please call her and we can finalize it. Then she added that they were looking to rent the place for May 15th. When I called her to say we were happy she chose us, I reminded her that we had a lease currently that runs until the 1st of June. I commented that this put us in a bind and the land lady said she would talk to her husband and call us back.
I should note at this point that: The current tenant had broken the lease due to personal reasons. The land lady charged the women one months rent for breaking the lease. So the month of May was covered completely.
So with that said, the women did not call us back as she said and I decided to call her. I told her that we would even be willing to split the difference and move in before June 1st. This way they are still making a double income from the property. She said word-for-word "let me talk to my husband and I will call you back tonight, how does that sound?" I said "that sounds great." As I'm sure you can guess at this point, the women did not call us back that night, nor the next. Finally, she left me a message the following morning saying that she rented the property to someone else. She went as far saying that she didn't want to make deals that it was not ethical.
So it is obvious the women is not very well educated but that's not the point. I am pretty sure there is no recourse I can take at this point but I feel as though this women was so dishonest in her ways and caused us to cancel other appointments, not schedule any new appointments, that she really screwed us over. Is there anything action I can take to make this women realize how unethical her behavior was? I just hate to think that she can go on without giving this a second thought. Thanks for your time.

Mike

HomeGuru

Michael325 said:
I was looking to get some feedback on a recent situation I encountered. My girlfriend and I are currently looking for a new apartment. We are in a lease until June 1st, 2004. We went and saw a place that we both liked. The landlord gave us an application which we returned to her that same day. I had called the landlord the next day to provide the rest of the information we didn't readily have available the night before. We once again expressed our interest in the apartment. The landlady told me she would call me the next day to let us know if we got the apartment. She called two days later, left a message saying that she has decided to go with us for the apartment, please call her and we can finalize it. Then she added that they were looking to rent the place for May 15th. When I called her to say we were happy she chose us, I reminded her that we had a lease currently that runs until the 1st of June. I commented that this put us in a bind and the land lady said she would talk to her husband and call us back.
I should note at this point that: The current tenant had broken the lease due to personal reasons. The land lady charged the women one months rent for breaking the lease. So the month of May was covered completely.
So with that said, the women did not call us back as she said and I decided to call her. I told her that we would even be willing to split the difference and move in before June 1st. This way they are still making a double income from the property. She said word-for-word "let me talk to my husband and I will call you back tonight, how does that sound?" I said "that sounds great." As I'm sure you can guess at this point, the women did not call us back that night, nor the next. Finally, she left me a message the following morning saying that she rented the property to someone else. She went as far saying that she didn't want to make deals that it was not ethical.
So it is obvious the women is not very well educated but that's not the point. I am pretty sure there is no recourse I can take at this point but I feel as though this women was so dishonest in her ways and caused us to cancel other appointments, not schedule any new appointments, that she really screwed us over. Is there anything action I can take to make this women realize how unethical her behavior was? I just hate to think that she can go on without giving this a second thought. Thanks for your time.

Mike
**A: you have absolutely no cause of action in whatever state you are in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">