• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor leaves me no place to park

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Skrecok

What is the name of your state? California

I live in a small apartment complex made up of two buildings shoehorned into a small lot. My building is in front, where there is a very small wooded area with the common dumpster in it.

In back there is another building with a narrow strip of land in front of it, just big enough to park three cars.

In each building there are three apartments.

The back building's parking is always full (the residents and their guests seem to favor huge trucks) and so they and their friends park in front of my building, leaving neither my next door neighbor or me anywhere to park.

The trees in front of my house make some of that space unavailable. The dumpster also. There's really only room for three cars in front of my building, and one space is taken by the guy who lives upstairs. The spot in front of my apartment is taken by a guy who lives in the back building who owns two cars! And somebody else parks in front of my next door neighbor's, so neither of us have anywhere to park.

Unfortunately, our lease does not mention parking.

The van parked in front of my house was never moved and had expired tags on it. After we complained to the landlady, who basically wouldn't do anything, the owner had it jump-started, took it away, and came back with it in the evening with a new registration sticker. I think it's fake, though. If he bought the registration in July, wouldn't the expiration date also fall in July? It says October 2005. Even though he didn't pay registration from October until now. That just seems fishy to me, and also a bit fishy that such an obvious old clunker - the car is truly an eyesore, with big patches of peeling paint - and it had to be jump-started even to move - could pass a smog check.

The man himself is quite loud and rude, owns a dog (in fact all of the tenants in the back building own dogs, even though none of us are supposed to have pets) and runs around every morning screaming obscenities at his dog. He called my neighbor a bitch for even complaining about his car.

What can I do? I need somewhere to park. I can't park on the street forever - it snows in the winter here, and if you're parked on the street, your car will be towed away. There's nowhere else in walking distance for me to park my car.

What legal remedy do I have? It may not be mentioned in the lease, but surely I have the right to have some space to put my car.

JETX

"What can I do?"
*** The answer is simple.... contact your landlord and ask what accomodations can be made to allow you to park.

cocobunny

Good luck! :rolleyes: In my lease it clearly states that I'm suppose to get two spots for my 2 bdrm, and that rarely happens. I complained to MISmanagement and they had the nerve to say that even though its in the lease it wasnt "inforceable"!!

Is it possible that you could request that the LL spray paint apartment numbers on each spot for each apartment?

Do you own a bike (motor or peddal) that you could leave in your spot?? Just an idea. I hope this thing works out for you.

S

Skrecok

Thanks for your responses..

I have contacted the landlord (it's a rental agency, the woman running it is a nice lady, but not the most organized) and she only said she could put up a sign saying "tenant parking only", which wouldn't really help me much in this particular case, since the problem is with another tenant.

I have thought of asking her about assigning parking spaces (kind of hard to do, since the yard is not paved, or marked into spaces, it's just dirt) but I would like to know what my legal rights on the matter are, so I can know exactly what I am entitled to. And what I should do if the guy still refuses to move his car.

JETX

"but I would like to know what my legal rights on the matter are"
*** Very simple..... if your lease doesn't specify parking... and if your landlord isn't willing to authorize your parking, then you have NO specific rights to park on the premises.
That 'right' is only granted with the permission and authority of the property owner and/or agent.

"And what I should do if the guy still refuses to move his car."
*** And without any authority to park, you can't do anything about anyone elses parking, either. Your only real alternative is to contact the manager everytime you feel 'your' parking space is being violated..... and learn to accept or plan to move when your lease expires.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">