• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor making false accusations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jodiross

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
I have a problem with a neighbor calling the police and giving them my address for noise complaints. These complaints are about people blowing their car horns, playing loud music, etc. These are false accusations and now it's to the point that my landlord is getting fined. This has been going on since January 2008. I have talked to my landlord regarding this situation and he has given me chance after chance to rectify this situation to no avail. This is a decent neighborhood and a very nice house for my three children and grandson. I don't let my children outside much because I'm worried that the neighbor will find another reason to call the police. I have other neighbors that are witnesses that I am not a nuisance tenant. I don't play any music in my house for fear that the neighbor will call the police. Basically, myself and my children stay in the house and keep it as quiet as possible to avoid any conflict. I don't want to be evicted because of this. I have previously rented from a police officer and had no complaints from him. I have also rented from another guy and lived at the property for seven years with no problems or complaints. Also, my grandson is a newborn so we keep it especially quiet for him. Please help me in this matter as I'm at a loss as to what to do.

BL

Explain how your landlord can be fined if there is no evidence of excessive noise ?

Just because someone calls in a noise complaint , doesn't mean there is evidence of the violation(s) , unless heard and noted / cited by the police officer .

What does your local code ordnance say about excessive noise ?

FarmerJ

Go to your local police dept and pull up reports related to your own address , then look for actual police report numbers and ask to review them and how to get copies, then next time your LL brings it up and there are no actual negative reports with finding of noise violations give your LL copies of the reported findings.

Hot Topic

{Quote}I have talked to my landlord regarding this situation and he has given me chance after chance to rectify this situation to no avail.{Unquote}

I think you've revealed more than you intended to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">