• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor recording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fburrows25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello all,

What are the recording laws in NY if I can hear my neighbor clearly through our adjoining wall, and she has been spoken to about me hearing her? Can I record her since she knows I can hear everything, and continues to speak loudly, as well as speaking that loudly doesn't give her a reasonable expectation of privacy'/

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello all,

What are the recording laws in NY if I can hear my neighbor clearly through our adjoining wall, and she has been spoken to about me hearing her? Can I record her since she knows I can hear everything, and continues to speak loudly, as well as speaking that loudly doesn't give her a reasonable expectation of privacy'/
Why ?

quincy

If she has "already been spoken to" about how loud she is, I do not see what recording her will do. Zigner's question is a good one.

Here, however, is a link to the law from the Digital Media Law Project website, which also provides a link to the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press website with additional information: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/new-york-recording-law

It is often not the recording itself that causes a problem. It is what you intend to do with the recording that can create legal difficulties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">