• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's basement on our electricity bill!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubbadub9202

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WISCONSIN

Someone, please help!
After blowing a breaker in our 2nd floor apartment, I went into the basement (through the neighbor's downstairs apt, un-benounced to them) to reset it...
When I did reset the switch in the basement, their basement lights kicked on (which they leave ON 24/7). I now realize that their basement lights are connected to OUR "living room" breaker, on the breaker panel (seperate from the other apt's panel)

We are obviously paying for the neighbors' brightly lit basement. They also have a washer/dryer in the basement. I don;t know whether we're paying for that or not.

Our landlord is very... lets say... bitchy...
WHAT DO I DO!!!???
PLEASE HELP!!!

FarmerJ

In wisc 704s the statute numbering series Ive looked in the past and did not find any statute that bars a LL from renting a unit with tenant paying for utility where some of the wiring of one unit is serving a area other than the tenants actual unit . So first question is Are you on a fixed term written lease ? (one year or specified number of months ) If you are then you can choose to send the LL a written letter stating what you have found and ask for a small credit /reduction per month in the rental amount since this was not disclosed to you OR give proper notice according to your rental agreement and move out. feel free to review your states law your self & check with your city /county ords to see if they have addressed the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">