• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors telling lies to owner I feel unsafe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ventura2170

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

We are renting a house in Ventura County, California and the and pay a manager the rent money, but we do have contact with the owner via text messages, a few months back the manager said that one of the neighbors said to the owner that we are renting rooms out and that the street “cul du sac” was full of cars from my house and that there was no street parking the owner was upset, I told the manager that this was a lie I have never rented any rooms out, he said not to worry, yesterday the owner texted me and said she was told that we are renting a room out and she was very disappointed and was going to tell the manager, my wife’s friend is staying with us because her husband left her with nothing and we are helping her to get back on her feet, now her friend is not paying us anything, her friend has nothing here, her friend is sleeping in the floor, well I know its my neighbor that telling the owner all this stuff I feel he is spying on us and any little thing we do they go and call the owner and tell them even if its not true, I’m very troubled by this and very worried to have anyone come over or even have my children go outside because I fell I’m being watched and cant do anything I cant have my family come and visit because I’m afraid that the “spy” next door will call the owner and tell more lies we have been at this house for 3 years,my lease is very simple the paper just states how much rent is and when its due and what the late fees will be there is nothing that says I cant have people over or have pets or anything like that, is there anything I can do about the neighbors that are telling lies to the owner, the owner believes what her “spy” is saying these lies are really affecting me emotionally. Are the neighbors violating my privacy rights?

FarmerJ

V first ? are you a month to month renter ? If you are I suggest you have this guest begin to stay elsewhere since all your LL would have to do is send you proper notice to tell you to move out. Now if your on a fixed term lease you still should have your guest find some other place to live ASAP because in the end this persons presence could lead to your LL not renewing the lease. Once this person is gone if you hear any more about any of your guest I would tell you just to be careful how often guest stay overnight and Ignore the nieghbor , and firmly but politely remind PM if they mention it that you are using the unit as the lease allows. BTW stop letting fear of what the nieghbor might say to the owner drive you nuts ( all you have to do is lighten up the wear and tear on the house by having a extra person there and problem is solved especially if you like where you are living )

Last edited:

Hot Topic

It sounds like you didn't tell the manager or owner that your wife's friend was staying with you.

I doubt that the manager or owner would care if the friend didn't pay you a dime for putting the owner's roof over her head, but the owner might think that he should get a little something out of it. Plus, he should been given the opportunity to find out more about the guest. She could be the most wonderful person in the world, or turn out to be someone who expects you to do everything for her and in the end refuses to move out until she gets all of you evicted.

You're feeling "unsafe" because you did the wrong thing. Reminds me of the time the local plainclothes policemen began watching the apartment building I lived in because there were so many people coming in and going out all hours of the day and night, they thought the tenants might be drug traffickers. Turns out the tenants let people "crash" in their apartment.

Quit playing drama queen. The neighbor could be worried about her safety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">