• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Upstairs and Noise.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

q4life

What is the name of your state? NY

I have neighbors who moved in the apt upstairs in March of this year. Since living there there has been numerous incidents where the police have been called because of fights. There is a teenage boy who sleeps in the room above us and everytime he gets into a fight with his sister or mother they have physical fights. I have written several letters to my landlord and made many calls regarding the noise that come from their apt and the constant stomping, dragging and dropping furniture, slamming doors and music that is way too high in the late evenings. All of this has become even more upsetting because my husband who is a police officer himself...went up there one evening to ask that they stop making so much noise. They didnt and we called our local precinct to interfere and they came to speak to them and the woman falsely claimed that my husband harassed her and later on because my husbvand is a cop,there was an investigation in regards to what had happened beteween the neighbors upstairs and my husband. IA dropped this whole case but the problem is that they know my husband is an officer and I am afraid of what other lies they may try to say in order to ruin his livlihood. I would like my landlord to take some type of action, but everytime I call the landlords secretary says she sends notes to their apt. I don't feel that's enough. Just last month after a fight upstairs my bedroom ceiling cracked and is on the verge of collapsing. The landlord has agreed to put in a new ceiling. But I would like to request an acoustical one and have them bill the tenants upstairs since they caused the damage, Is this possible?

What else can I do to spare us from this nightmare? Any advice is appreciated. :confused:

south

No its not possible for you to order a fancy acoustical ceiling and bill the tenants upstairs...

Only the landlord can bill them for actual damage to the ceiling.

What else can I do to spare us from this nightmare? Move

q4life said:
The landlord has agreed to put in a new ceiling. But I would like to request an acoustical one and have them bill the tenants upstairs since they caused the damage, Is this possible?

What else can I do to spare us from this nightmare? Any advice is appreciated. :confused:

q4life

I did not say that I would order it.

south said:
No its not possible for you to order a fancy acoustical ceiling and bill the tenants upstairs...

I am going to call the landlord on Monday. Since the ceiling hasn't been put in yet...I wanted to request an acoustical one since there is the history of noise coming from upstairs. I would hope that if and when they do...They send the bill straight to them. The issue I have is that now I have to remove all the furniture and take a day off and sleep in my livingroom for 2 days while all of this is happening.

Is this fair?

q4life

South, Why should I have to move?

south said:

I've been a tenant for 14 years. I've paid my rent on time. Live in a decent area and now some dysfunctional family has moved in and I am supposed to move?

I can see that you have zero legal advice to give. I thought I would get some sincere and sound advice here. I can get that same attitude from the realtor's secretary.

south

Why are you getting hysterical? No one said you have to move..... You asked: What else can I do to spare us from this nightmare? Any advice is appreciated

And I said, MOVE.. And that is sincere advice for a non legal question

q4life said:
I've been a tenant for 14 years. I've paid my rent on time. Live in a decent area and now some dysfunctional family has moved in and I am supposed to move?

I can see that you have zero legal advice to give. I thought I would get some sincere and sound advice here. I can get that same attitude from the realtor's secretary.

BL

You say New York .

NY State or NY City ?

Anyway in NY State , you call a non emergency # , Etc. Since your husband is a Police Officer , He should Know .

Here , the first time the Police Come , IF they can here Loud enough noise from 50 ft . from the House , it's a warning , 2nd time in one night , it's a ticket , 3rd offense in the same day , Jail .

IF they can or would be ticketed a Few times , then you could demand they be evicted , or be released from your Lease , otherwise , that's exactly what my City Told me , maybe you should move .

Don't worry I felt the same way about rowdy neighbors , Eventually they move .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">