• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Hampshire - 3 strikes!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ManchVegas

The importance of swiftly addressing late rent payments cannot be overstated - especially with new tenants who have not established a history.

NH allows for a tenant to cure an eviction notice 3 times in any 12 month period. It is a seven day evict notice, and as long as you have also served a demand for rent, the clock is ticking. This discourages untimely rent payments and gives you an advantage by not setting a precedent for accepting late payments.

Goes like this - Joe Tenant fails to pay rent when due. Lucy Landlord calls and either gets response'can't pay until next week' or 'check didn't clear yet'. Lucy states to Joe, ' I hear what you are saying. Unfortunatley, as a practical matter I cannot agree to accepting late rent and will need to serve notice as governed by law'. Joe Tenant can get all upset and unhappy, but you just restate what the rules are. Facts are not arguable, right?

If late rent continues, Joe Tenant may be smart not to violate the 3 strikes by paying late only one more time, not to subject himself and family to court action. If they know you are going to be on top of them when money is due, they are more likely to adjust their spending to meet the obligation timely.

Cvillecpm

In VA, I only have to accept rent with reservation 1X in any 12mo period and proceed with eviction. There is no state mandated grace period for rent payment and if my lease so stipulates, I do not have to serve a pay or quit notice....AND we have 2 NASCAR tracks....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">