• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Landlord / not making repairs & no proof of ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ereyes83

What is the name of your state? New York, NY

I rented an apartment in a 2 family house. Upon viewing the apartment 11/1/05 I was told repairs would be made prior to the move in date 12/1/05. Repairs were not made, I moved in on 12/6/05 and was still told repairs would be made. I paid December/January rent repairs still not made. I contacted the local housing department who issued violations on the landlord.

Now apparently the landlord sold the house and I nor the tenant downstairs were notified. The new landlord had called me constantly stating he is coming over to collect the rent (february). I told him I was not paying (1) repairs were never completed (2) I have no proof that he actually owns the building.

Last month I received a letter from the landlords attorney which has a completely different name from the person who was constantly calling me. I then received a letter from the courthouse stating I needed to go in.

I went and said the person was not my landlord. I contacted the attorney on the letterhead of the notification told them the situation and they said they do not have to provide evidence that he is the landlord or that he owns the building?!?

I received a certified copy of the deed from the city which still has my old landlords name on it. I also have a certified letter from the department of housing saying there is no Certificate of Occupancy on file either.

Apparently the house was remodled to be a 2 family house. Does this not mean it needs to have a Certifcate of Occupancy?

When I went to court I saw the court attorney and he said it didnt matter what certified letters I had because documents take up to 6 months to appear in the city systems even the name of the person suing me was wrong and the court attorney allowed the landlords attorney to cross it out and put the correct name?!?

So now i'm stuck, I have no idea who my landlord is, the repairs are not getting done and the landlords attorney won't provide me with any information. There are currently 36 open violations on the house which are still being reported under my old landlords name.

What can I do? and what legal options do I have? I have a court date on the 20th to see a judge, but even the courthouse didn't give me a time, so I am assuming I show up at 9am.

seniorjudge

ereyes83 said:
What is the name of your state? New York, NY

I rented an apartment in a 2 family house. Upon viewing the apartment 11/1/05 I was told repairs would be made prior to the move in date 12/1/05. Repairs were not made, I moved in on 12/6/05 and was still told repairs would be made. I paid December/January rent repairs still not made. I contacted the local housing department who issued violations on the landlord.

Now apparently the landlord sold the house and I nor the tenant downstairs were notified. The new landlord had called me constantly stating he is coming over to collect the rent (february). I told him I was not paying (1) repairs were never completed (2) I have no proof that he actually owns the building.

Last month I received a letter from the landlords attorney which has a completely different name from the person who was constantly calling me. I then received a letter from the courthouse stating I needed to go in.

I went and said the person was not my landlord. I contacted the attorney on the letterhead of the notification told them the situation and they said they do not have to provide evidence that he is the landlord or that he owns the building?!?

I received a certified copy of the deed from the city which still has my old landlords name on it. I also have a certified letter from the department of housing saying there is no Certificate of Occupancy on file either.

Apparently the house was remodled to be a 2 family house. Does this not mean it needs to have a Certifcate of Occupancy?

When I went to court I saw the court attorney and he said it didnt matter what certified letters I had because documents take up to 6 months to appear in the city systems even the name of the person suing me was wrong and the court attorney allowed the landlords attorney to cross it out and put the correct name?!?

So now i'm stuck, I have no idea who my landlord is, the repairs are not getting done and the landlords attorney won't provide me with any information. There are currently 36 open violations on the house which are still being reported under my old landlords name.

What can I do? and what legal options do I have? I have a court date on the 20th to see a judge, but even the courthouse didn't give me a time, so I am assuming I show up at 9am.

Q: What can I do? and what legal options do I have? I have a court date on the 20th to see a judge, but even the courthouse didn't give me a time, so I am assuming I show up at 9am.

A: You have been sued. Do not assume anything. Get a lawyer. Go to the land deed records in your county courthouse and search the records to find who currently owns the place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">