• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A New Lease but Landlord Gave 30 Day Notice of Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dre8604

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My current month to month lease term from January to June ends on June 30... we've been discussing a new lease and term from July to October. I informed her back in April of my intention to renew the lease. She drafted the new edited lease on June 15, but did not make it available to me until June 19. After certain discussions in which she didn't like my responses, she decided to give me my 30 days notice to find another place to live via text message on June 28. Am I required to sign a new lease (which has new untimely additions) for this last 30 days during the month of July? This new lease would require me to cover 75% of the floors in the space that I'm renting at my expense, but was not in the previously written 6-month lease, leaving me no time to save money for such an expense. Is the landlord required to give me 30 days notice of any new changes/rules or addenda?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My current month to month lease term from January to June ends on June 30... we've been discussing a new lease and term from July to October. I informed her back in April of my intention to renew the lease. She drafted the new edited lease on June 15, but did not make it available to me until June 19. After certain discussions in which she didn't like my responses, she decided to give me my 30 days notice to find another place to live via text message on June 28. Am I required to sign a new lease (which has new untimely additions) for this last 30 days during the month of July? This new lease would require me to cover 75% of the floors in the space that I'm renting at my expense, but was not in the previously written 6-month lease, leaving me no time to save money for such an expense. Is the landlord required to give me 30 days notice of any new changes/rules or addenda?
You don't have to sign a new lease. You will have to move as per the notice you were given. You will have to pay for the time you are there at the old rate.

Dre8604

I WANT to move, so that isn't an issue... I just needed to know what I'm allowed to say or do if she tries to "encourage" me to sign anything.

FarmerJ

First off you do understand that text messages are not a proper notice! Proper notice to you from the LL would have been sent on real paper say with postal tracking to show when It was delivered or sent to you certified , AS far as the notice itself, it is up to you if you don't want to reject it then honor it and move out by end of july or if your state allows mid month anytime notices then July 28 , AS far as this landlord changing any terms and telling you that you have to sign anything at all tell her to go kiss a piranha , your not signing any thing and since she gave you this fabulous clue how she wants to treat you financially , not only be out on time be begin to take things to a self storage unit so you can get every thing super clean inc the carpet and take a lot of pics to show how clean you left the place as well as pics of routine wear and tear then get them printed off and if she is not fair regarding your deposit or unfair with any claim of damage she makes take her to small claims court and sue using your pictures of the place showing how clean it was and its wear and tear items.

OK-LL

Yes, the landlord is required to give you a 30-day notice of change in terms of the rental with a M2M lease/rental agreement. The real question is, was the lease offered on 6/19 effectively a notice of change in terms? If so, the new terms will take effect on 7/19 and you will be at the new rent rate and required to perform under the other new clauses as of that date until the end of the 30-day notice to terminate the rental; this assumes MD is a literal notice state, not a term notice state. I don't have time to look it up, but you should review MD LL/T law to determine the specifics of notice requirements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">