• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Lease then Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Velmarie

What is the name of your state?TN
Our lease was up in August. We got a notice saying if sign a new lease by Sept 10 we would avoid an increase by going month to month. My husband went to the office, signed new lease and paid rent for Sept. At that time he was told that the office showed no record of receiving rent for JUNE!! For 2 years there we'd always paid with 2 money orders (because of the amount). My husband came home to look thru our receipts and we could only find 1 of the 2 receipts for June. It's crazy but we found every other month! Any case, we'd never paid or received late charges or a notice from the office about rent for June. About 1 week after paying rent for September, a sheriff delivered an eviction notice..........we had to be off the premises in 2 weeks. We managed to find another place to move. We have contacted the leasing office who generated the eviction and they are saying that we now owe for 12 months (the new lease), even though we were evicted! Mind you that our original lease from 2 years ago was in both of our names......I'd never signed the new lease...just my husband. The leasing office told us that they are purposely not leasing our old apartment so that we'll have to pay them. Is this possible? Was that partially signed lease valid or should it have become null and void because of the eviction and that there were not enough signatures on it? Any help appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">