• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - landlord changed water bill to her name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ob3

We're renting a unit in NJ, currently going month to month with consent of landlord. I had purchased a unit of my own recently which I was in the process of getting ready to move in, hence the month-to-month.

We pay all utilities ourselves, which is under my name.

I had given notice to the landlord that I'm moving out of my rental end of May. Landlord just told me she went ahead (without consulting me) and got the water utility co to change the bill back to her name and got the final reading (as of 5/15). I haven't moved out yet.

It's the principle that matters and I'm quite unhappy with what she did because she could have consulted us ahead of time if we had thought about changing accounts on our utilities. She said the water utility co let her because she owns the house. However, I'm still there.

Is what she did legal? What are my options?

Thanks

Some Random Guy

After reading this twice I am still at a loss to determine how you think you have been harmed, slighted or treated rudely in this situation.

ob3

It's the principle that matters here. Landlord was assuming that we'd forget to call the utility companies to notify them. She even emailed us and reminded us, and we replied (which she also received and ack'd) that we'd take care of it.

So hypothetically, how would you feel if your landlord went ahead and switched your utility accounts to her name, paid off the remaining balance and asked you to reimburse her, when it wasn't necessary or was it asked for her to do, while you haven't even moved out? I don't mind if she did this AFTER we had moved out, or if she had asked FIRST before acting. It is just rude.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, she was trying to lighten your load a little? Could she maybe have been trying to be helpful so that you had one less thing to worry about when it finally came time to move? But then I guess she should be drawn and quartered for trying to be a good samaritain. I feel sorry for anyone that might try to help you change a tire on the freeway or even put a quarter in your meter because time had run out with your premission.

So much for being helpful.

NotSoNew

this is standard operating procedure. shes responsible for it since its her house, and the she wants the water to remain on so she doesnt want to risk it being shut off.

normally in most of the apartments i have rented in NJ the water bill stays in the landlords name and we just pay them or dont have to pay at all (whats the water bill 30 bucks every 3 months?)

Who's Liable?

ob3 said:
It's the principle that matters here. Landlord was assuming that we'd forget to call the utility companies to notify them. She even emailed us and reminded us, and we replied (which she also received and ack'd) that we'd take care of it.
Maybe LL was right to assume you would forget... They could have had a tenant who did not cancel it before and it caused a hassle when the new tenant moved in...

So hypothetically, how would you feel if your landlord went ahead and switched your utility accounts to her name, paid off the remaining balance and asked you to reimburse her, when it wasn't necessary or was it asked for her to do, while you haven't even moved out? I don't mind if she did this AFTER we had moved out, or if she had asked FIRST before acting. It is just rude.[/QUOTE]
I see no problem with this... Of course I would have demanded the bill to make sure I wasn't being taken advantage of...

Bottom line, get over it... There are more important things to worry about... Especially on something this trivial... Your LL could have made your moving out a living hell... I cannot honestly believe that this LL would do this to spite or agitate you...

PghREA

Water and sewage is a lienable item to the owner of the property. Most landlords pay this utility themselves (the cost of which is included in the amount of rent the tenant pays.)
Most likely, she wanted to make sure the water and sewage bills were up to date before you left the unit. You may call it the "principle of the thing", I call it "good business".

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">