• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ- Live In girlfriend won't move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rabbit732

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hamburg, NJ
My girlfriend of 2 years has been living with me in my townhouse for just about 1 year now. She has a 4 year old daughter (from a previous marriage) who also lives in my house. Over the past 8-9 months our relationship has diminished drastically, to the point where we can barely be in the same room together. We got engaged back in February and broke the engagement off in July. We fight constantly and just can't get past it. She has said she is going to move out, but never does, she doesn't even look for a place. I have now told her I want her to move out, but again, she isn't doing anything about it.
I own the house and all of the bills are in my name. She does not pay rent, although she pays a couple of the bills (phone and gas). She does have her mail delivered to the house and her daughter is in the Hamburg School System (pre-k).
What rights does my girlfriend have in this situation? What rights do I have? Do I have to give her notice to move out? If so, how much notice and how should it be given, ie- certified letter, attorney letter, verbal etc?
Can I pack her belongings and move them out? Should I contact the local police to make them aware of the situation? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

ecmst12

NJ is very pro-tenant and it's tough to evict someone without cause, even if they're only month to month. However, I think owner-occupied premesis is an exception to that. Look up your state laws on how much written notice you have to give her, and give it to her. Be reasonable, as if she can't find a new place in the same district, she will have to deal with switching her kid's school. But you do have to give her at least the minimum notice required by the state. If she does not leave by that date, you can file for eviction with the courts.

FarmerJ

BTW send your notice via certified mail and if you have to open a post office box DO IT , you want your return reciept information to stay some where safe and that wont be your homes mail box . This will stop her from destroying your proof of the notice being sent as well as your forwarding your own personal mail too so no other information goes away. IF she will not leave at the end of the notice then plan on taking her to court and ask the court to order her to leave or be removed. YOUR post office box is a safe way to to keep any mail from the court system from getting lost. (torn up by her) School thing is not your problem.

HuAi

New Jersey does not allow eviction of month-to-month tenants without cause except in owner occupied scenario. You will need to give 60 days notice to the tenant. If after 60 days she's not left, you will have to file for an eviction with the courts. I very highly suggest you retain a lawyer for this purpose. NJ judges are very tenant friendly and may feel it necesary to allow your GF extra time for her girl to finish the semester. In my county (Hudson), courts do not evict between Dec 11 and Jan 1st due to Christmas season.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">