• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ snow question, simple version

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saire

update: NJ snow question, simple version

If it doesn't state either way in the lease, who is responsible for snow removal on path, driveway, etc. -- the landlord or the tenant? My state is NJ. Thank you!!!

It's a small house; I am the only renter. The landlord is petty and I'm going to be moving soon, this is one of many issues I have with him -- the only questionable one. I was just wondering if there was a legal issue regarding whether it was "officially" a landlord's or tenant's duties for outside maintenance.

Not that this has anything to do with legality, but the landlord owns a manual labor-type business that has the shop building on one side of my house and the office on the other. The many burly men who work there shovel a path from the shop through my yard, clearing the top portion of my driveway, over to the office. My landlord has a plow on the front of his truck and I allow him to park in "my" driveway every day for his work, but the second a drop of snow hits the ground he starts parking his truck, with said plow, in the street, after he has plowed out the front of the shop of course. And although I am a small woman with a back injury (post-surgery), he still refuses to deal with the snow.

Last edited:

justalayman

saire said:
If it doesn't state either way in the lease, who is responsible for snow removal on path, driveway, etc. -- the landlord or the tenant? My state is NJ. Thank you!!!
Do you rent a house (the whole house)
or is this an apartment complex, duplex or what?

Are you the only person to use path, driveway, etc.?

PghREA

saire said:
Then call the landlord and ask him.

kit

NJ snow question

Call your local municipal office ask if they have an ordinance addressing snow removal.

I live in PA. Our local (township) code requires that the owner "or person in control" of the property is required to remove snow from side walks. THere's nothing about driveways, which is good cause we just ride right over the snow here!

Unless its stated in the lease, I know I'm not required to clear the snow from my rental units. (But my leases state tenants are responsible for lawn care & snow removal - I have a "bad" back)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">