• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no access to burner...no heat/hot water on Long Island

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kclair68

I recently moved into an apartment and found out there is a problem w/the heat and hot water and also that its an ikllegal apartment. The burner craps out several times a day and must be restarted. The burner is located next door to me under a deli, I have no way to restart the burner after the deli closes. I told the landlord several days ago and she said she would look into it and fix the problem. I have spoken to several prior tenants ( after the fact) and they say that this problem has been going on for several years and that she wont fix anything! I trying to find out how much money i can deduct from my rent due to this BS. I also want to know if I can sue her for the broker fee, my moving expenses and travel expenses due to travelling elsewhere to sleep and shower. I am also keeoing records of when the heat goes out...PLEASE ADVISE

[Edited by kclair68 on 03-07-2001 at 12:24 PM]

D

dj1

as long as you have a lease then notify the landlord you are witholding the rent until further notice.

It is a healt and a fire code violation not to ba able to restart a furnace when it goes off, and she could be liable for fines from the fire dept.

I would call the fire dept too to see what they say, as well as the health dept.

And yes if she decides to TRY and evict you you can counter sue her for ALL your expenses even brokers fees.

Heat and hot water 24 hours a day is a human right in America.

If she doesnt like it tell he to go back to her old country, and get out of America

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">