• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NO HEAT IN MICHIGAN!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sundan

I live in Michigan. My lease agreement includes heat (the apartment manager pays heat and hot water). My lease agreement also states that I will control my own temperture with my own thermostat. Problem: my thermostat is turned up to 90 degrees and my apartment will not get any warmer than 60 degrees. The maintenance people have totally winterized my apartment and they say there is nothing else they can do. They don't understand why it won't get warm and they refuse to do any more work here. They told me to wear flannel pajamas and use a space heater until it gets warmer outside. Can I refuse to pay rent and do I have a case when we go to court?

HomeGuru

The first problem is that the maintenance people are not licenses HVAC contractors.
THe next issue is to read the applicable L/T laws vis a vis the withholding of rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">