• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Hot Water in Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcfrost

Hi, I hope someone can get me some more info on my problem:

I am currently having a problem with the hot water in my apartment. Specifically, it is the hot water in my shower. I have not had hot water comming to my shower for the past three months. As of today, my landlord has yet to resolve the problem. I first reported the problem on December 8, 2005. After I reported the problem, it took the manager about two weeks to respond. Everytime I talk with the manager she says that they are sending out a plumber to inspect the pipes and the boiler. Two weeks ago she tells me that the plumber has fixed the problem and the hot water should return to my shower by Tuesday, January 24 2006. But as of today, it has not. I feel that having to take ice cold showers over that past three months has affected me both physically and mentally. My personality has changed dramatically over the past couple months. I wanted to know if there is any legal action that I can take against my landlord. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I live in Los Angeles, is that helps any. Thanks.

ENASNI

bcfrost said:

I am currently having a problem with the hot water in my apartment. Specifically, it is the hot water in my shower. I have not had hot water comming to my shower for the past three months. As of today, my landlord has yet to resolve the problem. I first reported the problem on December 8, 2005. After I reported the problem, it took the manager about two weeks to respond. Everytime I talk with the manager she says that they are sending out a plumber to inspect the pipes and the boiler. Two weeks ago she tells me that the plumber has fixed the problem and the hot water should return to my shower by Tuesday, January 24 2006. But as of today, it has not. I feel that having to take ice cold showers over that past three months has affected me both physically and mentally. My personality has changed dramatically over the past couple months. I wanted to know if there is any legal action that I can take against my landlord. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I live in Los Angeles, is that helps any. Thanks.
The shower was the only place where you did not get hot water?

Were any of the requests for repair made in writing?

Do you have a letter from a Doctor spelling out that your personality changes has directly to do with not having a hot shower in 3 months?

HomeGuru

bcfrost said:

**A: you can sue based on a no hot water personality disorder. But you need a full MD diagosis as evidence to support your case.

bcfrost

The shower is the only place where I am not getting hot water. The sinks and I'm asuming the dishwasher work fine. I put in written maintenance request on 12/08/2005. I went and saw my doctor in early January and she diagnosed me with depression. I told her that the symptoms started in November which is also when the problem with the hot water started.

ENASNI

There is something wrong with this scenario dear. The landlord is not directly withholding Hot water from you. He does need to provide it to you by law, however it is a very strange plumbing problem indeed that only your shower is affected.
Now you say you reported it December 8th. That makes it, (by my counting) one month and 20 days since they were were informed.

Not three months.

I do think they should have taken care of the problem in a timely matter, but you sat on it for awhile and were not quite the squeaky wheel you should have been. They have tried to rectify in a way and it does seem to be a tricky situation here, if only the shower itself is the problem .

Letters sent one after the other quoting your rights and sent CRRR would have put a fire under their buts rather than what you seem to have done.
Sorry, but that is the truth and I am sticking to it.

I am sorry that you are depressed, and sorry you do not have hot water, but lets start with a paper trail now with you letting them know that this is unacceptable.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/problems.htm

acmb05

When you turn on the hot water only to the shower does any water come out at all? If not then you have a clog in the pipe somewhere or a busted pipe. if you are getting water but it is only cold then I'm stumped. Does not make sense to have hot water everywhere but the shower, especially if you are getting water out of the faucet when you turn the hot water on.

BL

Look up your LL/tenant laws . Write the LL rrr certified letters , demanding hot water within a reasonable time .

If they fail to correct the problem after maybe 3 notices , ck. your Laws on repair and deduct if possible .

It could be something simple as a shut off valve is closed .

Also if the shower has a newer type check valve in the the shower pipes , It could be a bad valve there .

FarmerJ

Im willing to bet that your showers water control valve is blocked or plugged send your LL a certified letter telling them that this is the only tap in the home that doesnt have hot water and if they dont repair it with in the next 4 days your going to just call your city/countys housing inspections dept and make a complaint with them. make sure to keep a copy of it for your self. and dont skip the certified part you need proof of having sent it. this is not a hard repair to do either the showers valve needs to be taken apart to see what has failed or just replaced either way its not a hard repair to do. If your LL doesnt act on it call your city/county housing inspections dept and let them write a work order to the LL.

HappyHusband

I'm sorry but I would boil water on my stove, carry buckets of hot water from the kitchen sink, or run a water hose from the bathroom sink before I would take an icy cold shower.
And then I would call the landlord every hour that I did not have hot water in my shower.

Gadfly

I'm sorry, but your LL gave you a BS response.

If the plumber fixed the problem you should have hot water by the time the plumer left, not
hot water should return to my shower by Tuesday, January 24 2006
You need to learn a little about how things work so that you are not being pushed around by LL's or repair people.

As you your personality change. That's BS too. Don't let the rest of the world dictate how you feel.

Read your state's LL/tennant rules. Many states require heat and hot water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">