• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noisy Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davidraw

I moved into an apartment on a 12 month lease in California.

Every morning, 6 days a week, I get woken by garbage pick-ups between 5AM and 6:30AM. This morning I was woken 3 times - at 5:15, 5:40 and 6:15. (The noise from the garbage trucks includes reversing sirens, hydraulics used to lift dumpsters, crashing of breaking glass and other garbage, the smashing down of dumpsters, shouts of the operators and 2-way radios)

The landlord will not allow me to break my 12 month lease early even though I am now suffering severe sleep deprivation and my quality of life has been materially diminished.

I argued that the landlord had a duty to inform me of regular nighttime noise before I signed the lease, they disagree. There is absolutely nothing else wrong with the apartment or neighborhood.

BTW, I am *not* a light sleeper - my previous house was under a large international airport flight path and next to a very busy railroad station. I can sleep through most things and in most places.

M

mary hartman

So got to bed early and wake up at 5 am....other then that not much you can do ...

Except try and break the lease and get someone else acceptable to the landlord to re rent asap.

Hmmmm maybe thats why the rent was cheap?

L

LL

You can complain to the city if they are violating an municipal noise ordinance, but I doubt that you will get any action.

But the landlord is not responsible.

If that is important to you, then you should have checked out that aspect of living there, before you agreed to rent it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">