• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-citizen lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sah002-tcc

I have a friend from England who wants to live in the US, and at least for awhile will not have any kind of permanent visa. Will it be possible for him to sign a lease to share an apartment in CA? Thanks so much!

sah002-tcc

Yes you are right about that. But I guess my question is, is he legally able to sign the paperwork? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I know nothing about it.

FarmerJ

One does not need to be a US resident to sign a contract. This is why I suggested a short term (month to month ) with non residents things can and do change and some times out of need there is a chance the person will have to leave sooner than what the visa time frame is so a month to month lease would be best for this person. Its possible with first last and deposit that a landlord would have no problem with month to month rental knowing the reason for it. Should your friend decide that living here isnt working out , month to month rental limits the financial damage they would create if they go home sooner than they planned.

MIRAKALES

The issue that a non-resident will have in obtaining a lease agreement is in providing the standard rental requirements: 1) proof of current income, 2) prior current residence, 3) credit history, 4) social security, etc. The standard rental requirements in the United States are not easily obtained by a U.S. LL directly from the United Kingdom. (If supplied by tenant the information is not reliable, but at least verifiable.) There are methods to obtain and confirm foreign income and identity, but most LL's may not be familiar with the process. In such case, a willing LL may require first and last month’s rent, plus two month’s security (if allowed by law).
It will not be possible to secure a rental without employment, which requires a Working Visa, not a standard Visitor's Visa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">