• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non renewal of lease/can I collect rent after lease expires

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creteman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
I had a tenants with a 6 month lease ending March 31. I decided not to renew lease and did not want to roll over to month to month. I gave 30 day notice on 3/16 to vacate by 4/15. They decided to move out on 4/30. Am I legally entitled to rent through 4/15? They think that because they left before end of lease they are not liable for rent into April. I say, lease would have rolled to month to month and they are liable for April rent? Who's right. Thanks

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

If they pay their rent on the 1st of march then you are entitled for the full month of April. If they pay rent on the 15th, then they owe you for the full month of April and through May 15th.. You have no obligation to prorate.

Cvillecpm

You should have given notice of non-renewal as soon as you knew you would not want them to remain and then.

I agree.....after 4/1 they owe YOU a full 30 day notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">