• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nonrefundable pet deposit - Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jess3939

Is it legal for a landlord to charge a non-refundable pet deposit in Denver, Colorado?

D

djdj

YES if you signed the lease with that in it.

And NO if is not written in a lease.

Quetion why are you complaining......if you didnt like that provison, then you could have asked the landlord to crossit out, and all of you initial the change BEFORE you signed the lease.

If the landlord refused...then you could have walked out, and found another place to live.....and the landlord could not sue you becuase you didnt sign the lease.

so why are you complaining?

L

lildevil719

NR pet deposit

Yes, it is legal for a landlord to charge a Non-Refundable pet deposit in Colorado. I know this for a fact(I live in CO, too) The only thing is that the landlord or his angent(s) have to tell you that it's non-refundable before they take the deposit. Colorado landlords DO NOT like pets. I think most landlords don't like pets. Basically, the way it is here in CO is if you want to have a pet, you need to buy a house, cause otherwise, you're going to pay anywhere from 300 to 700 dollars for a pet deposit, and usually, at least half of that is non-refundable, so that the landlord can have carpets repaired and cleaned, etc. so, unless you paid the deposit, then were told on moving out that its non-refundable, you're stuck. that's the case, check your lease very carefully, to make sure that it doesn't say anything in there about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">