• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Normal wear and tear on appliances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ridddle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

This is probably an odd question but the background info first.....I am renting a townhouse that came with appliances, washer, dryer, dishwasher, & microwave. I am moving out next week and doing some cleaning when I noticed that the dryer is stained blue on the inside. It is not ink, it looks like blue clothes dye (I wear a lot of black and dark blue jeans and buy a new pair when one fades). Anyway I don't know if it was there when I moved in 18 months ago but either way I want to try to clean it. If I can't get all the dye out will I owe the landlord a brand new dryer? Any tips on what might keep the dye out? The dryer works perfectly fine and the dye is not coming off on my whites.

Ridddle

Thanks for the quick reply!! I will try both. Now since acetone is flammable after I am done (hopefully) getting it out what do I do?

Isis1

Thanks for the quick reply!! I will try both. Now since acetone is flammable after I am done (hopefully) getting it out what do I do?
wipe it out very thoroughly with a wet towel to remove the acetone. several times.

treese

Personally, I would leave it alone. All of the dryers in my rentals have the blue staining and it is from normal use. There is no reason that you should have to remove it or be charged for the removal of it.

Ridddle

Personally, I would leave it alone. All of the dryers in my rentals have the blue staining and it is from normal use. There is no reason that you should have to remove it or be charged for the removal of it.
Thanks!! That is great to know it is considered normal W&T. I hate to sound mean but our Landlord is not very nice and may charge us for a new one so I am trying my very best to get it out.

Okay I tried the acetone and didn't work. Thought I had WD40 but didn't BF went to get some. Uh oh....How much is a brand new Kenmore portable dryer? :(

Baranov

If neither works, leave it alone. Both WD40 and acetone have many uses. Especially WD40. Google WD40 for multiple uses. It is unlikely that you will be charged for the blue hue on the dryer. My tenants usually ruin each others clothing due to ball point pens and acetone has has worked for me in the past.

Ridddle

If neither works, leave it alone. Both WD40 and acetone have many uses. Especially WD40. Google WD40 for multiple uses. It is unlikely that you will be charged for the blue hue on the dryer. My tenants usually ruin each others clothing due to ball point pens and acetone has has worked for me in the past.
Is there a special technique you use (i.e letting the inside get hot first, I used a rag should I use bounty or a cotton ball, etc.)?
I have ruined a few things myself at the local laundry mat by not checking the machine first I just never knew clothes dye could/would stain a dryer.

omik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

This is probably an odd question but the background info first.....I am renting a townhouse that came with appliances, washer, dryer, dishwasher, & microwave. I am moving out next week and doing some cleaning when I noticed that the dryer is stained blue on the inside. It is not ink, it looks like blue clothes dye (I wear a lot of black and dark blue jeans and buy a new pair when one fades). Anyway I don't know if it was there when I moved in 18 months ago but either way I want to try to clean it. If I can't get all the dye out will I owe the landlord a brand new dryer? Any tips on what might keep the dye out? The dryer works perfectly fine and the dye is not coming off on my whites.
A search on Google said to wet a towel (white or old) with a water bleach solution and run through a cycle. Also one said to use rubbing alcohol.

Baranov

I have seen this in my dryers and it does not pose a threat to white clothing. It is normal wear and tear. OP can legally challenge any deduction from the LL and will probably win.

BL

Can I use CLR Bathroom & Kitchen Cleaner in the washing machine or dishwasher to get rid of rust and lime deposits?

No, CLR Bathroom & Kitchen Cleaner should not be used in the washing machine or dishwasher. The detergents in the product may foam excessively when agitated. Use CLR in the gray bottle for these applications.

Good stuff .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">