+ Reply to Thread
    Ridddle is offline Junior Member

Normal wear and tear on appliances

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

This is probably an odd question but the background info first.....I am renting a townhouse that came with appliances, washer, dryer, dishwasher, & microwave. I am moving out next week and doing some cleaning when I noticed that the dryer is stained blue on the inside. It is not ink, it looks like blue clothes dye (I wear a lot of black and dark blue jeans and buy a new pair when one fades). Anyway I don't know if it was there when I moved in 18 months ago but either way I want to try to clean it. If I can't get all the dye out will I owe the landlord a brand new dryer? Any tips on what might keep the dye out? The dryer works perfectly fine and the dye is not coming off on my whites.
    Baranov is offline Member
    Acetone should get rid of it. If not, try WD40.
    Thanks for the quick reply!! I will try both. Now since acetone is flammable after I am done (hopefully) getting it out what do I do?
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridddle View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!! I will try both. Now since acetone is flammable after I am done (hopefully) getting it out what do I do?
    wipe it out very thoroughly with a wet towel to remove the acetone. several times.
    treese is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I would leave it alone. All of the dryers in my rentals have the blue staining and it is from normal use. There is no reason that you should have to remove it or be charged for the removal of it.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by treese View Post
    Personally, I would leave it alone. All of the dryers in my rentals have the blue staining and it is from normal use. There is no reason that you should have to remove it or be charged for the removal of it.
    Thanks!! That is great to know it is considered normal W&T. I hate to sound mean but our Landlord is not very nice and may charge us for a new one so I am trying my very best to get it out.

Okay I tried the acetone and didn't work. Thought I had WD40 but didn't BF went to get some. Uh oh....How much is a brand new Kenmore portable dryer?
    If neither works, leave it alone. Both WD40 and acetone have many uses. Especially WD40. Google WD40 for multiple uses. It is unlikely that you will be charged for the blue hue on the dryer. My tenants usually ruin each others clothing due to ball point pens and acetone has has worked for me in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baranov View Post
    If neither works, leave it alone. Both WD40 and acetone have many uses. Especially WD40. Google WD40 for multiple uses. It is unlikely that you will be charged for the blue hue on the dryer. My tenants usually ruin each others clothing due to ball point pens and acetone has has worked for me in the past.
    Is there a special technique you use (i.e letting the inside get hot first, I used a rag should I use bounty or a cotton ball, etc.)?
    I have ruined a few things myself at the local laundry mat by not checking the machine first I just never knew clothes dye could/would stain a dryer.
    omik is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridddle View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

This is probably an odd question but the background info first.....I am renting a townhouse that came with appliances, washer, dryer, dishwasher, & microwave. I am moving out next week and doing some cleaning when I noticed that the dryer is stained blue on the inside. It is not ink, it looks like blue clothes dye (I wear a lot of black and dark blue jeans and buy a new pair when one fades). Anyway I don't know if it was there when I moved in 18 months ago but either way I want to try to clean it. If I can't get all the dye out will I owe the landlord a brand new dryer? Any tips on what might keep the dye out? The dryer works perfectly fine and the dye is not coming off on my whites.
    A search on Google said to wet a towel (white or old) with a water bleach solution and run through a cycle. Also one said to use rubbing alcohol.
    JessicaEnrich is offline Junior Member
    I would sue my tenants for a new dryer so if I were you I would find a way to clean it or leave a check to get a new one.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, but you're a bad person, and you'd lose anyway.
    JessicaEnrich is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecmst12 View Post
    Yeah, but you're a bad person, and you'd lose anyway.
    Right, I'm bad. You let tenant use your appliances and they mess them up but yet you call me bad. You all must be tenants to think he/she can leave the dryer all stained up and that is okay.
    I have seen this in my dryers and it does not pose a threat to white clothing. It is normal wear and tear. OP can legally challenge any deduction from the LL and will probably win.
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member
    Run white t-shirts or towels through with bleach a few times right before you leave.
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Can I use CLR Bathroom & Kitchen Cleaner in the washing machine or dishwasher to get rid of rust and lime deposits?

No, CLR Bathroom & Kitchen Cleaner should not be used in the washing machine or dishwasher. The detergents in the product may foam excessively when agitated. Use CLR in the gray bottle for these applications.

Good stuff .