• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice not to renew lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fysty1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
New to this site and I have a couple of questions. I have a lease that expires on 9-14-10. Lease expires in about 45 days. I want to stay, if the Landlord wants me to go does he have to give me written notice that the lease isn't going to be renewed? How much notice does he have to give me if he decides not to renew?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, must be in writing. How long have you been there?
Gonna disagree slightly but only because we don't the lease in front of us. My answer would be that it is possible for the lease to end without any further notice.

ETA: Perhaps the OP should communicate with the LL on this... ;)

acmb05

Gonna disagree slightly but only because we don't the lease in front of us. My answer would be that it is possible for the lease to end without any further notice.

ETA: Perhaps the OP should communicate with the LL on this... ;)
I have the feeling the OP has gotten hints from the landlord that he will not be renewing the lease and is trying to find out if Just the landlord telling him this is enough.

fysty1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
New to this site and I have a couple of questions. I have a lease that expires on 9-14-10. Lease expires in about 45 days. I want to stay, if the Landlord wants me to go does he have to give me written notice that the lease isn't going to be renewed? How much notice does he have to give me if he decides not to renew?
I've been there 1yr

Banned_Princess

Depending on what your lease says about the end of the lease, is what has to happen.

Does it say notice needs to be given or it auto renews? Does it say the end of the lease is the end and you then go to month to month? Does it say that at the end of the lease, you have to move?

What does it say, I can wait.

sandyclaus

It says at the end of the lease it turns into a month to month tenancey.
Then you have your answer.

The lease does not automatically renew as a long Iterm lease, but instead converts to a month-to-month as of 9-14-10.

That means the LL will do one of 3 things before that date:

He will do nothing and allow the lease to expire with no further notice, at which point the tenancy becomes month-to-month;

He will present you with a new lease to sign for another term;

Or he will give you notice to end the tenancy altogether. If he takes the option, unless your lease specifically states a different notice requirement, NC law says that if the LL intends to end your year-to-year tenancy, he must give you notice at least 30 days before the end of the lease to become effective upon the lease expiration date. That means he has until approx 8-14-10 to give you a 30 day notice to terminate tenancy, and that's another 2 weeks away. And NC law allows that such notice can be either oral or written, so if he says it instead of putting it in writing, the notice is just as effective.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">