• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY - Private parking garage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShYber

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I own a small parking garage/spot that can only fit one car but I have been having issues with the person that is using it. I told them I would not be giving them the spot anymore around 1.5 months ago and they asked me to give them more time to find another parking spot. I told them they had till the end of February and starting from March they would not be allowed to use the space. I called to remind them today to move all their stuff out of the garage and the woman after much arguing said she wasn't moving and she would sue me.

She has no lease...the only thing she signed was a paper that states that she would pay us X amount by the first week of every month. Everyone else pays on time but this lady constantly give us her check late and puts the date on the 20th-25th of every month. For this month her check was given to us on the 20th and I received a call from my bank yesterday saying that the check bounced. The lady tells me that its impossible but I believe she did it on purpose.

I was actually just going to change the locks today and just tow her car since technically she didn't pay for this month since the check bounced but I decided against it. I plan on changing the locks to the garage on March 1st.

Does this lady have any grounds to sue me? And am I allowed to lock her out of the garage?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I own a small parking garage/spot that can only fit one car but I have been having issues with the person that is using it. I told them I would not be giving them the spot anymore around 1.5 months ago and they asked me to give them more time to find another parking spot. I told them they had till the end of February and starting from March they would not be allowed to use the space. I called to remind them today to move all their stuff out of the garage and the woman after much arguing said she wasn't moving and she would sue me.

She has no lease...the only thing she signed was a paper that states that she would pay us X amount by the first week of every month. Everyone else pays on time but this lady constantly give us her check late and puts the date on the 20th-25th of every month. For this month her check was given to us on the 20th and I received a call from my bank yesterday saying that the check bounced. The lady tells me that its impossible but I believe she did it on purpose.

I was actually just going to change the locks today and just tow her car since technically she didn't pay for this month since the check bounced but I decided against it. I plan on changing the locks to the garage on March 1st.

Does this lady have any grounds to sue me? And am I allowed to lock her out of the garage?
Try reading through these sections:

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/20/2/17

FarmerJ

did you ever send to this garage tenant a written notice telling them that they had to vacate the garage by X ?( likely the same amount of notice as the supposed rental period )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">