• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Occupant must pay all of tenant's rent?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skanney

What is the name of your state? NY

I am actually trying to hire a lawyer for a court date Friday, but finding one is almost impossible as a tenant. My roomate told me about an eviction proceeding on a month to month lease in his name (I was named in the proceeding) and went to court. I was just an occupant and never agreed to guaranty his rent. So I just moved out.

The landlord had my checking account and froze my bank account on a judgment against my old roomate. I reopened the case, but the judge told me I would be held responsible for my roomates rent because I paid some of the rent from my bank account sometimes, and that constitutes a verbal agreement to pay the rent.

He also told me I could be held liable to pay full rent after I moved out because my roomate claimed he had my persmission to bind me to his resolution. He lied if he said that.

My roomate did not pay 1.5 months rent, but he left a 1 month security deposit. The tried to take 2 full months rent from my account on this judgment because my roomate never showed up to defend himself. I paid ALL of my rent.

Can they do this to me?

Also, if they already reopened the case, can they claim I was already served and therefore cannot defend myself?

Does anyone know a lawyer in westchester who would negotiate or take this to trial for payment?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

Ellerge

The solution: Bend at the waste, grab both ankles with your hands, and kiss your a@@ goodby because you have just been f!@#$%.
All kidding aside, here is what I would do - get an Attorney, open a checking account at another bank (for free) and tell NO ONE, go to Court and tell the Judge about the $500.00 you gave the roommate as a Security Deposit (if true), and be prepared to pay BIG TIME!

skanney

My roomate paid the deopsit and so only owes 1/2 months rent and not 1.5 months. Okay, if I am screwed, why do I hire an attorney and why and I screwed? Thanks.

You Are Guilty

Ah, City Court judges at work again!

You'll likely not get anywhere at this level - the "judges" don't really always care about correctly applying the law. What you'll want to do now is 1) make sure there is a record of your hearing(s) - either by a court reporter or on tape. 2) Make sure you present ALL of your facts/defense on the record.

Then, when the judge denies your request, you can appeal to a court where the judges actually know the law. (You can get blank appeal forms from the clerk).

skanney

Here's the error message I got for the last hour or so; earlier it was something else...

We could not add your information at this time. The server may be busy. Please try back again later.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Worked for me on the first click.
If you have another browser on your system, try that.

skanney

When I hit the orange button first, that works. Only when I do the final submission in the process do I get the error message. Happens in any browser. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">