• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old roommates harassing for undue payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

innovamia

I lived with 2 guys in an apartment for 6 months(Jan 2015 - June 2015) without getting added to the lease. Was not given a separate room and I wanted us to take a 3 BHK but they were not agreeing and there were issues because of which I left the apartment. Before leaving, I gave a verbal notice of one month but there were issues when I left. They charged me for cleaning of the apartment and other things which was wrong but I still paid them. Then they defamed me with mutual friends.
Now they are harassing me to pay for some damage charges(200$) and threatening of legal action(personally or through leasing office) saying I stayed illegally. There is no guarantee they will stop harassing even if I pay 200$.
It is causing me mental stress and I am not sure what can I do. Please guide.
State is Georgia.

FarmerJ

you wrote >Now they are harassing me to pay for some damage charges(200$) and threatening of legal action(personally or through leasing office) saying I stayed illegally< If you think this claim is nonsense since you no longer live there , your all done, you have no further obligation to them . The leasing office has nothing to do with this if you had never been added on to a lease you were at best a month to month renter and if they violated the lease back then by having you there as a un approved sublet , too bad for them any consequence from that would have been directed at the tenants of record not you . Its time to consider telling them youll see them in court (meaning if they think they can prove this extra claim a judge then they should file , DO change your phone number and changing any other so called social media settings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">