• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other side of duplex changed to Airbnb mid-lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinyboss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I'm in the middle of my third one-year lease in a duplex building. Landlord recently informed me that the neighbor is moving out, and that the other side is now going to be an airbnb room. This diminishes the value to me of the rental in several ways, and I don't believe it's fair to make such a change mid-lease. What expectations do I have as a renter that the rented property will be substantially the same throughout my lease? The remedy I'm seeking is an early lease termination. Thanks for any advice.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I'm in the middle of my third one-year lease in a duplex building. Landlord recently informed me that the neighbor is moving out, and that the other side is now going to be an airbnb room. This diminishes the value to me of the rental in several ways, and I don't believe it's fair to make such a change mid-lease. What expectations do I have as a renter that the rented property will be substantially the same throughout my lease? The remedy I'm seeking is an early lease termination. Thanks for any advice.
I do not see any good reason for your landlord to let you out of your lease early. There is never a guarantee with any rental that the surrounding area will remain the same (e.g., there could be road construction, new buildings built) and there is no change to your particular rental unit.

In addition, I can see how living next to an Airbnb unit could be of some benefit. The tenants could be short-term (so you do not have to put up with an obnoxious neighbor for long) or the rental might be vacant for stretches of time, giving you peace and quiet, or you could be introduced to interesting neighbors from a different area of the world.

And, the bottom line (as DC noted) is that it is the property owner's choice and not yours.

You can always ask your landlord for an early release, though. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Tinyboss

How is it any of your business?
DC
DC, thank you for your reply.

It's not an anthill-style apartment complex, it's a secluded two-unit building at the end of a cul-de-sac. It's very peaceful and quiet which was absolutely why I leased it (and renewed twice). There are common areas for laundry and storage space (a big shared 2-car garage). The wall between the units is quite thin. The driveway is tricky and requires cooperation.

I've had two neighbors here, one fantastic and one not-so. But even with the "bad" neighbor, over time we came to an understanding and things were alright. But there's simply no way to reach an understanding with one or two groups of people a week. I'll have to deal with their bad parking choices over and over. I'll have to explain over and over to strangers that the wall is thin. And every single one of them will be on a "trip", not in their home, so that'll be extra noise and general activity.

It very clearly is my business. Whether I have any recourse is the question I'm asking.

Last edited:

quincy

It's not an anthill-style apartment complex, it's a secluded two-unit building at the end of a cul-de-sac. It's very peaceful and quiet which was absolutely why I leased it (and renewed twice). There are common areas for laundry and storage space (a big shared 2-car garage). The wall between the units is quite thin. The driveway is tricky and requires cooperation.

I've had two neighbors here, one fantastic and one not-so. But even with the "bad" neighbor, over time we came to an understanding and things were alright. But there's simply no way to reach an understanding with one or two groups of people a week. I'll have to deal with their bad parking choices over and over. I'll have to explain over and over to strangers that the wall is thin. And every single one of them will be on a "trip", not in their home, so that'll be extra noise and general activity.

It very clearly is my business. Whether I have any recourse is the question I'm asking.
I don't see any recourse.

IF what you fear comes to pass, and the people who rent are noisy and active and annoying, then you will have a right to complain to your landlord. But it is possible that anyone who rents will be renting because they, like you, want peace and quiet. And it could be possible that YOU will be the annoying one, especially if you feel the need to "instruct" them on proper behavior. ;)

Speak with your landlord about your concerns and then start looking for a new apartment to rent when your lease ends.

Tinyboss

Thanks for your replies, quincy.

I think it's at least clear that the value of the shared garage space is greatly diminished by having to share it with dozens of people whom I'm not likely ever to see again, versus one or two who actually live here and have their own stuff stored as well. And that it's harder to coordinate laundry when you have to start over with new people every time.

But I hear that I have no real expectation that the property won't change for the worse mid-lease. That sucks. I have asked for an early termination and the LL has been showing the unit. Unfortunately he's taken the opportunity to raise the rent by over 30%, which I suspect just might be making it harder.

Last edited:

quincy

Thanks for your replies, quincy.

I think it's at least clear that the value of the shared garage space is greatly diminished by having to share it with dozens of people whom I'm not likely ever to see again, versus one or two who actually live here and have their own stuff stored as well. And that it's harder to coordinate laundry when you have to start over with new people every time.

But I hear that I have no real expectation that the property won't change for the worse mid-lease. That sucks. I have asked for an early termination and the LL has been showing the unit. Unfortunately he's taken the opportunity to raise the rent by over 30%, which I suspect is making it harder. But hey, he's not on the hook, so why not?
I am not sure how many of those who will rent the Airbnb unit will have cars or stuff to store, so the tricky driveway and the shared garage space may never become a concern. My understanding, too, is that those who rent an Airbnb room are pretty well screened, so you are likely to have better neighbors than you might have otherwise. And, again, you might just find that the new people who become your short-term neighbors are fascinating and worth getting to know. Never can tell. :)

Good luck in your discussion with your landlord. He may surprise you and let you out of your lease early without penalty.

Tinyboss

I am not sure how many of those who will rent the Airbnb unit will have cars or stuff to store, so the tricky driveway and the shared garage space may never become a concern. My understanding, too, is that those who rent an Airbnb room are pretty well screened, so you are likely to have better neighbors than you might have otherwise. And, again, you might just find that the new people who become your short-term neighbors are fascinating and worth getting to know. Never can tell. :)

Good luck in your discussion with your landlord. He may surprise you and let you out of your lease early without penalty.
The discussion has already happened, and the answer is not unless there's another tenant under lease. That's obviously the best outcome and I'm doing what I can for it. I've made it available to show at any time, and showed it to a couple of potential tenants when the LL wasn't able to come out. But I'm worried that he's marked up the rent so drastically that nobody's going to bite. I'm pretty sure that in GA there's no obligation to mitigate damages in this case, so I guess I just have to hope someone really loves it. I'm only asking about possible other scenarios in case there's not another tenant willing to take it over.

quincy

The discussion has already happened, and the answer is not unless there's another tenant under lease. That's obviously the best outcome and I'm doing what I can for it. I've made it available to show at any time, and showed it to a couple of potential tenants when the LL wasn't able to come out. But I'm worried that he's marked up the rent so drastically that nobody's going to bite. I'm pretty sure that in GA there's no obligation to mitigate damages in this case, so I guess I just have to hope someone really loves it. I'm only asking about possible other scenarios in case there's not another tenant willing to take it over.
Ahh. Well then I hope for your sake that there is a tenant out there who wants what you don't want (and for 30% more :)) and you can be released from your lease early. And, if you find you must stay through the end of your lease, I hope all of your new neighbors are good ones.

Good luck, Tinyboss.

FarmerJ

Had you thought of talking to the LL about blowing in insulation into the common wall to sound proof it ?( LL would be able to write it off ) garage door & marking it maybe the LL would be okay with you adding self stick address numbers to each side of the garage door just to help remind his short term tenants. Other disturbances , this is what the police are for and if it becomes that much of a problem some cities do go after landlords who have too many disturbances via tickets and fines ( have you called your city to learn if your landlord must have a special license to do short term rental , some cities may have zoning rules that would not allow this kind of change ? , Laundry , since you mentioned it then it sounds like its shared equipment, if it is then do you each have own outlets /connections for utilities ? other wise is it possible to have your own machines so your not sharing / will be able to run wash when you want with in reason with out concern ?

quincy

Had you thought of talking to the LL about blowing in insulation into the common wall to sound proof it ?( LL would be able to write it off ) garage door & marking it maybe the LL would be okay with you adding self stick address numbers to each side of the garage door just to help remind his short term tenants. Other disturbances , this is what the police are for and if it becomes that much of a problem some cities do go after landlords who have too many disturbances via tickets and fines ( have you called your city to learn if your landlord must have a special license to do short term rental , some cities may have zoning rules that would not allow this kind of change ? , Laundry , since you mentioned it then it sounds like its shared equipment, if it is then do you each have own outlets /connections for utilities ? other wise is it possible to have your own machines so your not sharing / will be able to run wash when you want with in reason with out concern ?
I agree with STEPHAN.

Tinyboss at this point in time has very little time left in his lease if he stays through to the end, and there is a chance that he will be out of the unit sooner than that. There is nothing that has happened to his current rental situation that would warrant the expense to the landlord of blowing-in additional insulation or setting up separate laundry facilities. Tinyboss has lived there for over two years without these needs.

Just because a landlord has decided to turn one side of a duplex into an Airbnb does not translate into more noise, more activity, or problems with the temporary residents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">