• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overcharging/charging for normal wear and tear cleaning costs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trng2help

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ARIZONA

I recently moved out of an apartment in Tucson (college student). I just received a bill in the mail from the landlord saying that I owe 111.00 for miscellaneous cleaning charges. This bill is split for ways so the real total is about 450.00. We kept our apartment reasonably clean. We put a few minor scuffs on the walls and the carpet got dirty. Charges for scuffs on the wall are understandable, but they charged us for cleaning the carpet, replacing the drip pans on the stove (the landlord stated that they do this every year...its "routine"). In addition to the carpet cleaning and the painting there is also a charge for "full clean". The bill looks like this:

Touch Paint: 42.50
Carpet Cleaning: 18.75
Replace Drip Pans: 2.50
Full Clean: 47.50

Total: 111.00
Keep in mind that there are three other people paying this same amount.

I am under the impression that the carpet cleaning, full clean and drip pan replacement are normal wear and tear deductions. I was told normal wear and tear would not be deducted from my deposit. The landlord is now saying that we were responsible to have the carpet steam cleaned. Is there any law that is to my benefit? I also am writing a letter to the landlord asking for an invoice from the cleaning company. How much time do they have to reply before I can keep some of my money (everything but touch paint)?

Thanks for your help!

Alaska landlord

Dirt is not normal wear n tear.
To tell you the truth, the charges appear to be a little on the low side. I would have charged twice as much.

ecmst12

Now if you had cleaned the carpet (and had receipts to prove it) and scrubbed the drip pans until they were sparkling (and had photos to prove it), then you might have a valid complaint. But as mentioned, dirt is not normal wear and tear. The drip pans and carpet were clean when you moved in, they should be clean when you move out.

looks more than reasonable to me.. try getting billed for over 4 thousand dollars :( as far as the carpet.. was it clean when you moved in? if so.. why should it be the LL duty to clean up adter you and the lot you had with you? and drip pans?? seems as though your looking for a mother to clean up after you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">