• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overnight Guests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dimplezonly

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, Simply put, I am in roommate hell. After multiple problems, my roommate has decided to give her 30 day notice and is now trying to do everything that she can to get me to forfeit back to her this month's rent. I would gladly do that if I could, but without notice I would not have been able to meet the monthly rent on my own. So she is stuck her for 30 days. She is now threatening to let her boyfriend come over and spend every night her, despite our verbal agreement that she was not allowed to have overnight guests. She said that she spoke to a sherriff who said she had every right to have whoever she wanted stay at the apartment with her. I, on the other hand was under the assumption that only the contracted tenants were the only ones that had a legal right to be here. The lease is under my name alone and I have sublet a room to her. What rights do I have to enforce the no overnight guests policy that I have requested? If she insists that she has every right to have him here whenever she wants and over every night for these next 30 days, can I charge him rent? What can I do??? She wants to make my life miserable. Please help me.

longneck

if your agreement is in writing and states no over-night guests, then you can have the boyfriend removed for trespassing. also, your roommate has to follow all of the same rules you have to follow when you signed your lease. so if your lease states, as an example, that for guests to stay more than two days requires approval from thh LL, then get you LL to deny her request. the LL can then have the boyfriend removed by the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">