• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA lease - pet deposit/policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HomeGuru

You should have asked this wise person for a citation.
**A: if I remember correctly, PA does not allow a separate pet deposit from the security deposit but a landlord could charge up to twice the amount of the security deposit by calling it just that and not a pet deposit. So in one respect. the tenant's rights person did state it correctly but should have clarified things further and not have tenants leave believing that they can have pets and not pay any deposit.
In this instant thread, all the landlord has to do is say I am allowing pets but I need to increase your security deposit. Or in the alternative say, no pets are approved. Landlord cannot charge X amount deposit per pet as pet deposits are not allowed.

Banned_Princess

Please provide verification--statute, case law, etc, that would verify this.

I heard from my cousin's sister's husband's dogsitter that a LL can't acutally charge rent.....
omg, I also heard that from my sisters, fathers, aunts gardener!! it MUST be true!!!

CSO286

omg, I also heard that from my sisters, fathers, aunts gardener!! it MUST be true!!!
I KNEW I was right!!! I'm so glad you were able to verify it for me with the gardener, BP!!!!!

I'm so going to stop paying rent as of Nov 1.

Wonder what'll happen to me?

:cool::rolleyes:

DJAcidCypher

**A: if I remember correctly, PA does not allow a separate pet deposit from the security deposit but a landlord could charge up to twice the amount of the security deposit by calling it just that and not a pet deposit. So in one respect. the tenant's rights person did state it correctly but should have clarified things further and not have tenants leave believing that they can have pets and not pay any deposit.
In this instant thread, all the landlord has to do is say I am allowing pets but I need to increase your security deposit. Or in the alternative say, no pets are approved. Landlord cannot charge X amount deposit per pet as pet deposits are not allowed.
Is my landlord permitted to hold a "pet deposit" in addition to my regular security deposit?

The Landlord and Tenant Act in Pennsylvania does not allow for a separate pet deposit. A pet deposit is viewed in the same manner as any security deposit and the landlord is subject to the same limitations which are described above, that is, no more than two months' security deposit may be held for the first year of the lease and, after the first year of the lease no more than one month's security deposit may be held. This includes a pet deposit.

Stephen P. Moyer, Esquire
Real Estate Attorney

My original question was in regards to the wording of my lease in relation to my request and if it was legal to tack on additional unwriten (in the lease)stipulations and for the $ amount of the pet deposit itself.

So I guess this answers my question. Pet deposits are NOT allowed in addition to a security deposit. As such, my lease does NOT state an agreement of any type of pet deposit apon approval of a pet request. So, for you guys that wana call me out of this and say I was wrong...do you research before you just say "you're wrong". A lease is an agreement between a tenant and landlord, and by law can not be change mid lease if the landlord want to 'adjust' things to better suit thier personal objectives. And for the part where my landlord said "Ok, so get a hedgehog. It is fine with me. I will have to charge you a pet deposit."...this is like saying that Im allowed 1 parking space, I move in and then Im told if I want to park there I have to pay $250/vehicle.

OHRoadwarrior

So argue the law with your landlord. She will refuse the pet or amend your lease for a larger security deposit or increased rent. Show her who is boss.

LillianX

Is my landlord permitted to hold a "pet deposit" in addition to my regular security deposit?

The Landlord and Tenant Act in Pennsylvania does not allow for a separate pet deposit. A pet deposit is viewed in the same manner as any security deposit and the landlord is subject to the same limitations which are described above, that is, no more than two months' security deposit may be held for the first year of the lease and, after the first year of the lease no more than one month's security deposit may be held. This includes a pet deposit.

Stephen P. Moyer, Esquire
Real Estate Attorney

My original question was in regards to the wording of my lease in relation to my request and if it was legal to tack on additional unwriten (in the lease)stipulations and for the $ amount of the pet deposit itself.

So I guess this answers my question. Pet deposits are NOT allowed in addition to a security deposit. As such, my lease does NOT state an agreement of any type of pet deposit apon approval of a pet request. So, for you guys that wana call me out of this and say I was wrong...do you research before you just say "you're wrong". A lease is an agreement between a tenant and landlord, and by law can not be change mid lease if the landlord want to 'adjust' things to better suit thier personal objectives. And for the part where my landlord said "Ok, so get a hedgehog. It is fine with me. I will have to charge you a pet deposit."...this is like saying that Im allowed 1 parking space, I move in and then Im told if I want to park there I have to pay $250/vehicle.
Dude, it's nothing like you are describing. The landlord absolutely can change the deposit amount if you get a pet. Your lease doesn't say PETS ALLOWED. It says you need permission. Her permission is contingent on a new deposit.

It's all semantics. Can she charge you a "pet deposit"? No. Can she charge you an additional deposit because you're getting a pet? Yes. She can. And she is.

You can either pay it, or not get a pet.

You can also just argue with people on the internet who know better than you.

ecmst12

Since $750 is less than 2 months rent, it is allowed for her to hold that amount as a deposit. It doesn't matter whether she calls some of it a pet deposit and some of it a regular deposit, as long as the total amount is 2 months rent or less, it is legal. That's what the quote you posted says. Get it?

Hot Topic

I'd like a hedgehog, but they're illegal in my state. And I'd have to pay $600 a year just to have him or her. Landlords are so prickly about that kind of thing.;)

FarmerJ

Your LL has covered butt really well here since your lease requires permission all they have to do is say NO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">