• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA lease - pet deposit/policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJAcidCypher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Ok, so Ive talked with my landlord recently about getting a pet. She lives in Virginia, and the apartment (basement studio of a house) is located in Lemont, PA. She originally stated that my initial request of a cat was denied due to her having allergies. So, no big deal. Recently I've decided on a new choice and sent an email to her. My lease states as follows:

"Pets: No pets allowed unless approved by landlord"

Her email states as follows:

"Ok, so get a hedgehog. It is fine with me. Just please clean up after it and keep it in a cage when you are not supervising it. I will have to charge you a pet deposit. I charged Tim $250 per pet, so I will do the same with you. You will also be required, just as Tim is, to have the carpets cleaned when you leave the property and to repair any damage done by the animal."

2 things to note....1st) my pet choice is pygmy hedgehog apon approval of a PA house bill that if passed will allow this animals to be legal pets in PA. 2nd)Tim is the upstairs neighbor.

My question is...is it legal for her to charge a pet deposit eventhough she gave "approval" yet my lease mentions nothing of a deposit upon such approval??? Ive also considered getting a hedgehog and 2 rats...which would bring the deposit to $750! My monthly rent is $600, of which Ive already put a months rent down for a deposit. Is this allowed as well? Please help!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Ok, so Ive talked with my landlord recently about getting a pet. She lives in Virginia, and the apartment (basement studio of a house) is located in Lemont, PA. She originally stated that my initial request of a cat was denied due to her having allergies. So, no big deal. Recently I've decided on a new choice and sent an email to her. My lease states as follows:

"Pets: No pets allowed unless approved by landlord"

Her email states as follows:

"Ok, so get a hedgehog. It is fine with me. Just please clean up after it and keep it in a cage when you are not supervising it. I will have to charge you a pet deposit. I charged Tim $250 per pet, so I will do the same with you. You will also be required, just as Tim is, to have the carpets cleaned when you leave the property and to repair any damage done by the animal."

2 things to note....1st) my pet choice is pygmy hedgehog apon approval of a PA house bill that if passed will allow this animals to be legal pets in PA. 2nd)Tim is the upstairs neighbor.

My question is...is it legal for her to charge a pet deposit eventhough she gave "approval" yet my lease mentions nothing of a deposit upon such approval??? Ive also considered getting a hedgehog and 2 rats...which would bring the deposit to $750! My monthly rent is $600, of which Ive already put a months rent down for a deposit. Is this allowed as well? Please help!
**A: oh brother. Get some stufffed animals. It's cheaper.

DJAcidCypher

Thats not the point...I dont care about the money, its that shes almost trying to throw on fees whenever its convienent for her just to get more money out of me.

HomeGuru

Thats not the point...I dont care about the money, its that shes almost trying to throw on fees whenever its convienent for her just to get more money out of me.
**A: if the terms of the lease are changed such as now allowing a pet, yes she can charge a pet deposit.

DJAcidCypher

**A: if the terms of the lease are changed such as now allowing a pet, yes she can charge a pet deposit.
My lease is until August of 2012. As the original message states my lease reads:

"No pets are allowed unless approved by the landlord"

It doesnt say...appoved by the landlord and subject to a pet deposit fee of $X. She has approved my pet request under the agreement I pay $250/pet. Which is not how my lease is stated. Am I wrong?

LillianX

My lease is until August of 2012. As the original message states my lease reads:

It doesnt say...appoved by the landlord and subject to a pet deposit fee of $X. She has approved my pet request under the agreement I pay $250/pet. Which is not how my lease is stated. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are.

Proserpina

Very much so.

FarmerJ

Pet deposits are not regulated by the states, state statutes are written for people , the only regulation you will find is those for a service animal for legitimate disability. Even small size pets can create damages and the LL has the right to collect a deposit over and above the one paid at this time. Your lease already as you posted says >"No pets are allowed unless approved by the landlord" < your LL can simply say NO.

3boys1girl77

I was informed at a tenants rights workshop I attended earlier this week t is illegal in the state of PA to ask for a "pet deposit" there is no such thing.

HomeGuru

I was informed at a tenants rights workshop I attended earlier this week t is illegal in the state of PA to ask for a "pet deposit" there is no such thing.
**A: then landlord can just say I am not approving any pets period, end of discussion. Get a chia pet.

LillianX

It's not illegal. The law doesn't even address it. All rental deposits in PA are refundable, less damages, and the max that can be required of a landlord is two month's rent for the first year and one month's rent for subsequent years. Pet deposits are fine, as long as they fall within those guidelines.

CSO286

Please provide verification--statute, case law, etc, that would verify this.

I heard from my cousin's sister's husband's dogsitter that a LL can't acutally charge rent.....

OHRoadwarrior

You should have asked this wise person for a citation. Note a non refundable pet deposit is probably illegal. By its nature it is misclassified. A deposit would be for potential of additional damage. A pet fee, on the other hand, could be non refundable.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">