+ Reply to Thread
    Zagga88 is offline Junior Member

Question Paid full Rent, but now want a refund.....

Pennsylvania

Someone viewed my property online and decided he wanted to rent it. I mailed him the lease and he signed it and mailed it back along with the full rent for the entire lease. He then came to move in and asked that I changed the carpet and so I changed the carpet. He took the keys and started moving in his things. He contacted me the following day to say he changed his mind and gave me back the keys. He then asked for his money back. What are my rights as a landlord? What should I do?
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member
    KEEP THE MONEY.....re-rent the unit and send him any $$$ after re-renting costs and per-diem rent until it is leased.
    sandyclaus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagga88 View Post
    Pennsylvania

Someone viewed my property online and decided he wanted to rent it. I mailed him the lease and he signed it and mailed it back along with the full rent for the entire lease. He then came to move in and asked that I changed the carpet and so I changed the carpet. He took the keys and started moving in his things. He contacted me the following day to say he changed his mind and gave me back the keys. He then asked for his money back. What are my rights as a landlord? What should I do?
    First of all, the money paid for the lease period - was it cash or check? Did the check clear?

If good money changed hands, then you have a valid lease. If the tenant wants to back out of it now, he is breaking the lease. As a landlord, you are under no obligation to refund the full rent paid. There is an obligation in force for the tenant to pay the cost of rent until such time as you can find a new tenant to move in.

You could do one of two things: hold tenant responsible for rent until a new tenant moves in, or negotiate an agreement with the tenant to return the rent paid less a specific amount to cover what you estimate to be a reasonable rent until a new tenant moves in. In the second situation, be sure to have the tenant sign off that what you pay him is payment in full & releases him from further obligation under the lease.

In either case, however, be sure to inspect the property and make sure there are no damages that need to be deducted first!
    I is is offline Junior Member
    I am assuming the carpet needed replacing. If not, then you should have told your applicant that the apartment is being offered as is. If you took cash, then it was wise since most LLís have learned that to only accept cash or MOís on the initial onset of the landlord tenant relationship.

Don't forget to send him an accounting of his deposit according to the PA alloted time period.