• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid security deposit, undated lease signed by both parties - can I back out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJChicago

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I'm in a difficult situation and was hoping to get some advice. I thought I'd found the perfect apartment on CL, and after I agreed to rent the condo, the landlord/owner gave me a lease, which I said I needed to read over before signing. But I gave him a check for the security deposit to secure the place, and told him I expect the receipt when I hand him the signed lease two days later. Well, fast forward two days, I gave him the signed lease, but he left the dates blank, saying we need to confirm with the management office about specific move date first. No mention of the deposit receipt, so I stressed at the end of our meeting that next time we meet I need both a copy of the complete lease and the receipt.

Now 2 weeks have passed, and I've been biting my nails wondering if this guy just ran off with my deposit. I called him on Saturday, and he said he was sorry, been crazy busy, and will call me as soon as he gets home...which he never did. I called him the next day and again the same "busy" excuses, but he said he just wrote in his notebook and will call me first thing Monday when he talks to the management about my proposed move-in date. I also told him about my concerns, and first he said I should just "trust him", but went ahead and agreed to meet on Tues to give me my paperwork. It is now late Monday night, and no calls. Honestly at this point I'm really starting to get cold feet. If it takes this much arm-twisting to get legal documents from this guy, what's it gonna take for him to fix a clogged toilet? Isn't he required by law to provide a deposit receipt within 14 days? Can I use that against him? What are my options? Can I still back out of a signed lease without specific start/end dates? (though I guess there's nothing stopping him from filling them in afterwards)

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for the long post...it's a complicated situation.)

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I'm in a difficult situation and was hoping to get some advice. I thought I'd found the perfect apartment on CL, and after I agreed to rent the condo, the landlord/owner gave me a lease, which I said I needed to read over before signing. But I gave him a check for the security deposit to secure the place, and told him I expect the receipt when I hand him the signed lease two days later. Well, fast forward two days, I gave him the signed lease, but he left the dates blank, saying we need to confirm with the management office about specific move date first. No mention of the deposit receipt, so I stressed at the end of our meeting that next time we meet I need both a copy of the complete lease and the receipt.

Now 2 weeks have passed, and I've been biting my nails wondering if this guy just ran off with my deposit. I called him on Saturday, and he said he was sorry, been crazy busy, and will call me as soon as he gets home...which he never did. I called him the next day and again the same "busy" excuses, but he said he just wrote in his notebook and will call me first thing Monday when he talks to the management about my proposed move-in date. I also told him about my concerns, and first he said I should just "trust him", but went ahead and agreed to meet on Tues to give me my paperwork. It is now late Monday night, and no calls. Honestly at this point I'm really starting to get cold feet. If it takes this much arm-twisting to get legal documents from this guy, what's it gonna take for him to fix a clogged toilet? Isn't he required by law to provide a deposit receipt within 14 days? Can I use that against him? What are my options? Can I still back out of a signed lease without specific start/end dates? (though I guess there's nothing stopping him from filling them in afterwards)

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for the long post...it's a complicated situation.)
you should have gotten a receipt for the security on the spot.

I would call him back and tell him he has a week to get you the executed lease with a move in date, or you are going to back out completely. (which you can due to the place not move in ready almost a month after signing and paying your deposit)

You should keep your correspondence to writing, so you will have evidence of the problem should you need to sue him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">