• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pay rent if moving out, and not on lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abcdefg123

I live in Illinois. I am a college student, and have been living with three other girls in a house. Legally, the house can only have 3 people. I am the 4th. I did not sign a lease, and have never put my name on anything, including utilities bills. I moved in last August '05, and am moving out this May '06 (June 1). My roomates are extremely angry that I gave them last minute notice, and they are threatening and harassing me for the rent money for after I move out. First, they just wanted money for summer months. Now they are stating that I owe them money for another full year. They claim I made a verbal agreement to pay. Now they cl aim they are just mad that they can't find a new roomie, and they claim they have talked to a lawyer and "have documents" to get the money from me. I feel that I am honestly not obligated to pay the money. I am not on a lease, and I am not going to be living there. Can they really do anything to get money from me? I am paying rent for another apartment and have explained that I cannot afford both places. They are being rude, and evil, and mean. They have even called my parents and given personal information regarding relationships, etc just to make me mad so I'll give in and pay. I should not have to pay. I don't feel that I have to pay.

What is your legal opinion?

I have told them that the problem is theres, and they need to find a new person to be a roommate and to pay rent, and to leave me alone. I am not on a lease, and I am moving out. I am paying through June 1 when I am moving out.

Thank you,.

BL

Sounds like a cat fight , where did ya'll sleep if the place was to only accomodate 3 persons ? :eek:

Who's Liable?

You will need to give a minimum(or whatever your state demms necessary) of 30-days notice to vacate ON OR BEFORE the next rental period. You stated you wanted to be out by June 1, you will need to give notice to vacate ON OR BEFORE May 31...
You will need to double check your states LL/T laws as some states require more than 30 days if you have been already living there...

There claim that you agreed to pay for a year is a he-said she-said topic that cannot be proven.

Once you have given proper notice to vacate, it will be up to the remaining roommates to find a replacement and you will have NO liability... They may have talked to a lawyer, they may not have, but it sounded like a scare tactic that won't work...

To protect yourself, send the letter to vacate via CRR so there will be NO question as to when and where you sent it... Keep a copy of it somewhere safe off site. And when you move, take pictures of EVERY inch of your room to prove that no damage was done. You never know if they will damage the room after you leave than take you to court for damages...

abcdefg123

Crr

What is CRR? I gave notice to move out someime in the middle of March. Not sure of the exact date. How do I prove it? i did type a document regarding moving out on my computer that day - won't the computer have the original date of document posted somewhere?

And, in response to your response, I basically don't need to be scared of them - regardless of their parents threatening mine, etc etc, correct? I am NOT on a lease, never have been, and won't live there. So, I can just let them fight about it and get out?

Thanks!

ecmst12

Who's Liable? said:
You will need to give a minimum(or whatever your state demms necessary) of 30-days notice to vacate ON OR BEFORE the next rental period. You stated you wanted to be out by June 1, you will need to give notice to vacate ON OR BEFORE May 31...
I think you mean April 30....May 31 is only one day before she's moving!

Anyway you DEFINITELY gave them enough notice, I don't know how they can say 2.5 months is "last minute," they have plenty of time to find another roommate. You haven't given them WRITTEN notice, but there's still time for that, you'd have until the end of this month to cover the 30 days required notice.

CRR means send the letter via certified mail with return receipt requested. Then you have proof that you mailed it, and proof that it was delivered.

xylene

Giving proper notice.

If you inform them in writing within 30 of the end of May you are in the clear. As a month to month tenant that is your only obligation.

Furthermore, given that occupancy laws governing the place, they can't hold you to anything. It is pretty simple, they can't hold you to an obligation to pay for housing, because they can't legally provide that service.

It boils down to this- your 3 roomates have (most likely) a joint and seperate libaility to pay rent to the landlord. They had you illegally move in so the rent would be split 4 ways rather than 3. But this did not make you obligated to their lease or the building. In fact, the arrangement essentially made THEM (3 roomies) your landlord. This may or may not have violated multiple clauses in the lease- as you have not signed any lease, this does not concern you. It certainly violated the occupancy laws, which were no doubt in the lease.

You have given notice, formalize it in writing. You have no further obligations.

Who's Liable?

abcdefg123 said:
What is CRR?
Certified & Return Receipt... Two different things. You get them at the post office. Average cost to mail a letter CRR is about $3.85 I believe. They give you a racking number on the Certified which you can look up on the computer, and the Return Receipt, you will get this back once the letter had been signed for. It will have the name of the person who signed for it.I suggest sending one to each of your roommates. Keep ALL copies of the CRR as well as the letter you sent. It will help you incourt if it gets that far.

abcdefg123 said:
I gave notice to move out someime in the middle of March. Not sure of the exact date. How do I prove it?
That is the whole point of the CRR... You have NO physical proof that you notified them... Plus you need to notify them ON OR BEFORE the last rental period... Have you done that? Was it sent properly? Look at your states LL/T laws to verify you sent it properly...

abcdefg123 said:
i did type a document regarding moving out on my computer that day - won't the computer have the original date of document posted somewhere?
Beats me, I don't have your computer. A judge may or may not see that as proof.

abcdefg123 said:
I am NOT on a lease, never have been, and won't live there. So, I can just let them fight about it and get out?
Actually, you ARE on a lease, it's a month-to-month auto-renewal lease that the state has created for you...

other than that, yes, you sit back and let them scream and yell... If you have done everything according to your states LL/T laws you will be ok...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">