• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is paying rent with cash acceptable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coexmatrix

What is the name of your state? pa
Hello,
As always, any help or advice is certainly appreciated. After having a problem with checks, I have asked my landlord to allow me to give her cash for rent. I ask that she simply have a receipt for me, that I will meet her anywhere that may be convenient for her, on a day that we can agree on ( basically any day she wants is cool with me). She flat out refuses. Can I be made by the landlord to have to pay in checks, Cash money should be acceptable I assume. Is it considered her not accepting payment if I have cash in hand and she does not have a receipt nor does she intend to provide one? After all, cash is hard federal money and I am really going out of my way to make it as easy on LL as I can as far as meeting arrangements. Obviously if she was far away it would be a different story, but, she lives relatively close.

Does your lease have any restrictions on the method used to pay the rent? If not, I'd say that cash is acceptable. You are wise to insist on a receipt. A lease should state how the rent is to be paid...cash, check, money order, automatic payment, etc.

One way to protect yourself is to pay with a counter/cashier's check from your bank. Or a postal money order. You'll have a receipt ( and paper trail at your bank) and your landlord won't have to worry that she's receiving a rubber check. I understand if she won't accept a check after a tenant bounces one but I don't see why she would refuse cash. I've gone through PA's statutes and didn't find anything specific about the method of payment; I did find a sample lease that mentioned the way the landlord wanted payment. Ultimately, I guess you have to placate your landlord.

C

coexmatrix

queen, thanks for the input, I figured such was the case. Nope, nothing in the lease about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">