• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying their bills.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lulaali819

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I'm living in a building in which the landlord absconded two years ago. I have been maintaining the building myself, paying the light and gas bills for all four units with no help from other tenants. When I found out that the city was no longer paying the bills--they had taken over for 6 months--I had no choice but to pay it because I had an infant on the way.

What recourse do I have--besides from suing them--against the other tenants whose light and gas bills I'm paying. One gas meter, two light meters and there is no separation by floor.

Also, I need to travel for about a month and need to make sure I'm not paying their bills while I'm gone. Is it legal for me to turn the lights out while I'm gone? The account is in my name.

ecmst12

You need to sue your LANDLORD. Are you still paying rent or have you been living there for free (other then the utilities)?

BL

CONTINUATION OF UTILITY SERVICE

When the landlord of a multiple dwelling is delinquent in paying utility bills, the utility must give advance written notice to tenants and to certain government agencies of its intent to discontinue service. Service may not be discontinued if tenants pay the landlord's current bill directly to the utility company. Tenants can deduct these charges from future rent payments. The Public Service Commission can assist tenants with related problems.
If a landlord of a multiple dwelling fails to pay a utility bill and service is discontinued, tenants can receive payment for damages from the landlord. (Real Property Law § 235-a; Public Service Law §33)

OIL PAYMENTS

Tenants in oil heated multiple dwellings may contract with an oil dealer, and pay for oil deliveries to their building, when the landlord fails to ensure a sufficient fuel supply. These payments are deductible from rent. Local housing officials have lists of oil dealers who will make fuel deliveries under these circumstances. (Multiple Dwelling Law §302-c; Multiple Residence Law §305-c)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">