• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying Utilities for multiple tenants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dml523

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have rented a house for almost 3 years. When I first rented the house I wasn't made aware that there was an efficiency on the house with a seperate entrance. I became aware of the efficiency, obviously, upon moving in. My concern is this...I pay the utilities for the entire house, have always paid them for almost 3 years. There is no seperate meter for the efficiency, and the tenants that are in/have been in there have never paid for any utilities, nor have I gotten any kind of reimbursement from the landlord.

Is it illegal for me to have to pay utilities for other tenants? Is it a code violation/illegal apartment without a seperate electric meter for each unit? Can I be recompensed for monies paid for utilities for the past 3 years? How do I protect myself from retaliation from landlord if I pursue this matter?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gail in Georgia

Check with your local Code Enforcement to determine whether separate meters are required.

How come, in three years, you didn't discuss splitting the cost of utilities with either the landlord or the tenants?

Gail

dml523

Paying utilities for multiple tenants

I did bring the subject up a while ago, when the other unit was vacant and the landlord actually got very "snippy" with me. The reply was to the effect of "what are you saying, you can't pay anymore?" My reply was "No, I'm not saying that I can't pay, I just don't think I should have to pay for someone else's electric"...

Basically they told me that it would be impossible for them to rent the place and ask the tenants of the efficiency to pay for utilities because the place is too small and no one would pay that much for such a small place.

There have been multiple tenants in the efficiency and there have been problems with all of them. One ditched out on them, one was put into a mental facility after throwing his tv on the driveway...then breaking into the efficiency after he was released from the mental hospital...the last tenant was also "Baker acted" after being incarerated for outstanding warrants. Needless to say, it's been a rough road...

I have implored the landlord to do background checks on these tenants, due to safety issues, but obviously they're more concerned with the money coming in than they are with my safety or anything else. Oh yeah, did I mention that the house is being foreclosed on??? Landlord says they are fighting it, but I have a feeling they are just pocketing the money...

I am currently looking for a new place, but would like recover the money, if possible, that I had to pay for the utilities for the other tenants before I make the move or the bank takes over the house...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">