• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommy569

I live in Pennsylvania, and am having problems with my landlord. When we rented the home work was supposed to be done and never was. Until May rent was current. On may 3rd LL's real estates agent handed us a "notice to quit", I had already mailed her a letter stating that rent would be witheld until promised repairs were made. (on advice of an attorney) 2 Weeks ago LL showed up screaming because we were notout yet and that she was going to throw all of our stuff out and lock the house up. We have not heard anything since.
Does anyone know what the eviction procedure is here in PA?
I am searching for another house and have moved alot of our things into storage but have not found another house yet.

H

happylucky

If the landlord does such a stupid thing call the police and have the Landlord arrested!

Now do you see why a lease is important, you have rights to withold the rent or repair and deduct,

BUT YOU CANNOT just leave!!! if you do you will still owe the rent!

And the landlord will sue you for ALL the rent money..

mommy569

Actually I do have a lease. I also have many pictures of things that were supposed to be repaired that were not. Reapir and deduct was an option but when I figured out how much the repairs would have been it would have totalled more that the rent owed from May until August 1, 2001, which is when our lease is up. I would have lost money.

If LL is on the property do I have the right to ask her to leave? Would calling the police be a waste of time since she is the homeowner?

This is a position I have not ever been in before. I rented my last home for 4 yrs with no problems. This LL is a nightmare. She has made a habit of threatening to throw us out. She threatened 7 times in 6 months.

H

happylucky

No call the police on her......and of course you will be out by August 1st

Also plan on suing her in small claims court for your security, and take lots of pictures ( and make extra copies) before you hand back the keys to show a judge when you sue her.

mommy569

I have my pictures labeled, and I had a feeling from the day I met her (after we moved in because everything went through her real estate agent) I have kept a log of each contact with her. Many times she would show up unannounced and tell us that she was there to "inspect" I am counting the minutes until I can find another house. I have all of my information in a folder (with a complete copy kept at my fathers house as I do not trust her)<--she has in the past entered the house when we were not home.

Since I have witheld the rent how would I be able to sue her for my security?

H

happylucky

The security is for damages, and the rent is separate..

The judge will decide if the witholding of rent is justified, and how much you would have to pay back, you can use the security as payment for what you owe.

So you really wont be paying rent, but something called "use and occupancy" unless the place is so unlivable, or a danger to life, or health, or in some places like new york city when its an Illegal apartment, then the landlord will get something for each month.

[Edited by happylucky on 06-25-2001 at 11:13 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">