• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania tenant with landlord selling house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jetagon

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

We have a two year lease which expires in September, 2006. Ourlandlord is selling the place and as far as I can tell there is nothing in the lease that allows him or future owner to have us leave before the term of the lease has expired. My questions are: is there such a mechanism in leases that enables landlords to get out of them sooner than the term is up (if so than what is the point of a lease?), and how do I assess the value of having us move out early if current or future owner wants us to leave early? Finally, if we decide to leave early on our own what is our obligation and how do we terminate the lease?

treese

My questions are: is there such a mechanism in leases that enables landlords to get out of them sooner than the term is up
No, the new owner must honor your lease.

how do I assess the value of having us move out early if current or future owner wants us to leave early?
If the new owner wants you to leave early, you can either negotiate with the LL, or say "no thank you" and stay per your lease.

Finally, if we decide to leave early on our own what is our obligation and how do we terminate the lease?
The exact flip of the above answer - you can attempt to negotiate an early release with the LL, but the LL can say "no thank you" and hold you to the lease.

If you do not negotiate an early release, the LL can hold you liable for all costs related to re-letting the property (repairs, advertising, agent fees) and rent until a replacement tenant is found.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">