• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person that i am renting from just walked in on me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

binkie2003

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have recently moved from the other place I was speaking about and now I have encountered another landlord who is doing the same thing. I was laying in my bed with my two small boys after feeding them and the woman that i am renting from just walked in on me. I had on my night gown and she just walked in and started complaining about the mess that moving made. I still have things in boxes and the place is not quite straight yet. I work 12 hours so it is kind of hard to unpack. What rights do I have leagally being that we do not have a lease agreement? Please help.:rolleyes:

C

condaggitt

What rights do I have leagally being that we do not have a lease agreement? Please help.

YOU want help????? You wont like the answer.

SIGN A DAMN LEASE......and make sure its not month to month GEEZ!

If the landlord wont sign a years lease with you then GET OUT of there, and dont give them your money!

You have a lot to learn, girl.

H

hexeliebe

You have a lot to learn, girl.
Obviously so do you condaggitt because you have no idea about Georgia landlord/tenant law. Much less intelligent responses.

binkie2003:

According to the following, whether you have a lease or a month-to-month or no form of rental agreement, the state of Georgia confers a landlord/tenant relationship in the following manner:

State of Georgia
Landlord Tenant Law

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State law site

44-7-1.

(a) The relationship of landlord and tenant is created when the owner of real estate grants to another person, who accepts such grant, the right simply to possess and enjoy the use of such real estate either for a fixed time or at the will of the grantor. In such a case, no estate passes out of the landlord and the tenant has only a usufruct which may not be conveyed except by the landlord's consent and which is not subject to levy and sale.

Also, the statutes are very specific as to responsibilities:

44-7-2 G *** CODE SECTION *** 10/15/99 44-7-2.

(b) In any contract, lease, license agreement, or similar agreement, oral or written, for the use or rental of real property as a dwelling place, a landlord or a tenant may not waive, assign, transfer, or otherwise avoid any of the rights, duties, or remedies contained in the following provisions of law:

(1) Code Section 44-7-13, relating to the duties of a landlord as to repairs and improvements;

(2) Code Section 44-7-14, relating to the liability of a landlord for failure to repair;

(3) Ordinances adopted pursuant to Code Section 36-61-11;

(4) Article 3 of this chapter, relating to proceedings against tenants holding over;

(5) Article 4 of this chapter, relating to distress warrants;

(6) Article 2 of this chapter, relating to security deposits; and

(7) Any applicable provision of Chapter 11 of Title 9 which has not been superseded by this chapter.

In other words, you have the same rights under Georgia law as any other tenant.

Simply tell your landlord that you do not want her to enter your premesis without sufficient notice and that if it happens again you will notify the authorities.

One other thing you might want to know. In Georgia, a landlord is required to give 60 day notice, a tenant 30 day notice to terminate a lease/rental.

JETX

Actually 'conda' (AKA happyroach) is not correct.

"What rights do I have leagally being that we do not have a lease agreement?"
*** Part of this answer will depend on what you told the landlord at the time and what she told you.

At the very least, give your landlord a WRITTEN notice that they are not to enter YOUR property without a minimum of 24 hour written notice except in the case of a valid emergency. Then, if they do enter.... call the police and have them noticed or charged with trespassing.

You need to realize though that without a lease of a specific term, you are in a weak position as the landlord can simply give you a 30 day notice to vacate and you would have to leave.

B

binkie2003

Thank you both so much.

Thank you both so much. I will get something in writing as soon as possible. So I need to get a notery public to make it official. And when I do get everything in writing, can my LL refuse to sign it and terminate our arrangements anyway just because I want to put this in writing.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

You don't need to have anything notorized. Just write the letter as JetX suggested, then send it Certified Return receipt requested and leave it alone until she violates the "request".

And please quit posting the same question on different forums.

JETX

"I was laying in my bed with my two small boys after feeding them"
*** And why the hell do you feed your children in BED???? What a pervert.... or a sow!!

And since you have virtually repeated this same damn post at least THREE times on this forum.... it is more likely that your 'visions' of the landlord walking in on you is probably just wishfull thinking!!! Why would ANYONE want to walk in on someone feeding their kids in BED????
:D :D :D

B

binkie2003

I'm sorry

I am sorry for the number of post that was posted. I thoght the sight was not recognizing the question I was asking because I could not find it to see if I had any replies. It was an honest mistake and YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE PROFANITY WITH ME.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">