• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DDandtheGirls

Southern California. I live in Huntington Beach, CA and asked my landlord if I could have a pet. His reply was, WOULD YOU PAY (IN CASH) THE COST TO RE-CARPET THE PLACE WITH COMPARABLE CARPET IN FULL AND IN
ADVANCE OF GETTING A PET (EITHER A DOG OR CAT)?. I pay $1550. rent each month, I have him a $3000. deposit when I moved in and now it appears that he's asking for another $3000. Is this ethical? What are the laws for replacing carpet in rentals? PLEASE reply ASAP!
Thank you!

L

Litigation10

DDandtheGirls said:
Southern California. I live in Huntington Beach, CA and asked my landlord if I could have a pet. His reply was, WOULD YOU PAY (IN CASH) THE COST TO RE-CARPET THE PLACE WITH COMPARABLE CARPET IN FULL AND IN
ADVANCE OF GETTING A PET (EITHER A DOG OR CAT)?. I pay $1550. rent each month, I have him a $3000. deposit when I moved in and now it appears that he's asking for another $3000. Is this ethical? What are the laws for replacing carpet in rentals? PLEASE reply ASAP!
Thank you!

My response:

He doesn't have to allow you to have a pet. He doesn't want his property damaged. The Sharper Image sells mechanical pets. Buy one.

IAAL

ENASNI

hmmm forget about that guy

The usual deposit is half or equal to the security deposit for pets. For the Carpet replacement it is the "useful Life" rule. This means if the carpet is aged you usually pay for the carpets replacement minus the "useful life" it had/has.

It sounds tricky huh?
Heck it is what the California landlord Tenant handbook says... don't ask me> :confused:

One common method of calculating the deduction for replacement prorates the total cost of replacement so that the tenant pays only for the remaining useful life of the item that the tenant has damaged or destroyed. For example, suppose a tenant has damaged beyond repair an eight-year-old carpet that had a life expectancy of ten years, and that a replacement carpet of similar quality would cost $1,000. The landlord could properly charge only $200 for the two years' worth of life (use) that would have remained if the tenant had not damaged the carpet.

I have a doggie that I would not give up for the world so... if IAAL can live with a mechanical robot then more power to him, but if you have to pay a deposit make sure your dog or cat is house-trained and the deposit is refundable and you have nothing to worry about... Right?

Last edited:
You're lucky your landlord will even CONSIDER letting you have a pet. Most would just say, "No." I give this landlord kudos. You're lucky to have such a nice landlord.

What kind of carpet would cost $3,000? That must be SOME carpet or the place is enormous. In Southern California if your rent is $1300, you've got quite a deal. ($3,000 deposit? Isn't that horribly high?)

Perhaps you could make a deal with your landlord to put the deposit into an interest-bearing account because I'm sure your pet will not destroy your carpet, right?

Shari_B

One common method of calculating the deduction for replacement prorates the total cost of replacement so that the tenant pays only for the remaining useful life of the item that the tenant has damaged or destroyed. For example, suppose a tenant has damaged beyond repair an eight-year-old carpet that had a life expectancy of ten years, and that a replacement carpet of similar quality would cost $1,000. The landlord could properly charge only $200 for the two years' worth of life (use) that would have remained if the tenant had not damaged the carpet.

How is useful life determined for a particular carpet? This is an issue that is related to a question/issue that I have.

thanks

Sirena7cs

Landlord can not legally charge you in C.A more than 2 1/2 times rent upfront.
In other words 1st, last, and half month security deposit. However that can be restructured. 1st, 1/2 last and month of security deposit which is sometimes the smarter way to go, for him, if it's written that way on your lease. (Even so he does have to prorate any damaged carpet by it's useful age as previously stated.)

He can however disallow pets.

I love pets too, but think you might be better off in a pet friendly environment if he won't charge you a more reasonable pet deposit within the confines of the law.

Good luck to you!

S

south

Ethical??? What has that got to do with the destruction a pet causes?

Pet owners tend to switch their eyes nose and ears off when it comes to the gradual damage a pet causes but consequently develop strong abilities to object and deny problems/damage when it comes to vacating the unit.

There is no advantage to the landlord to allow you a pet, he presented you the deal if you want a pet take it or leave it.

DDandtheGirls said:
Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">