• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pets/disabilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alphawolf90

My family has been living in the same household for the past 9 years now and under contractual agreement are not allowed to have pets;however, my 17 year old son was diagnosed in 2004 with hyperhidrosis, which is extreme sweating on the hands and feet, and O.C.D., and so interaction with people his own age is very difficult. He has been suffering for years now and has not done anything social since he was around 13 years old. I don't know how to comfort him anymore because there doesn't seem to be anything hopeful I can really say: there is no way to cure what he has, and medication is not a solution. He has been asking for a dog for years now and I feel it would greatly improve his mental condition since he does not have any real friends and it is difficult for him to even meet new people. Would my son be covered under the Fair Housing Act and be allowed to have a dog for therapeutic reasons? Keep in mind that when the contract was signed, he was still too young to be showing any signs of his current condition since it does not onset until puberty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are not allowed to have a "pet". A service animal would be different...but you're not talking about a service animal (ie: a seeing-eye dog)

xylene

You are not allowed to have a "pet". A service animal would be different...but you're not talking about a service animal (ie: a seeing-eye dog)
Courts have repeatedly ruled for broad understandings of service animals

This poster will need bona fide evidence of the service animal status.

Not just good parental intentions.

Alphawolf90

Well, I don't know exactly how to go about getting service-animal status, but I do know that i can get my son's doctors to write a prescription for one if that is any help. Here is a quote from the U.S. department of justice website as to what includes a disability: "(1) a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life activities". Here's the site- http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/housing/title8.htm

Last edited:

mommyof4

there is no way to cure what he has, and medication is not a solution.
Have you looked into Botox? Seriously. :)

Wanting a dog to ease the loneliness isn't exactly the qualifaction needed for a service animal.

edited to clarify (just in case)....botox for the Hyperhidrosis. NOT the OCD.

A "Companion Animal" has been ruled by federal courts to be a service animal. A prescription from your doctor declaring your son disabled as defined by law and that the animal is needed because of the disability should be sufficient. Please note: detailing the disability to the landlord is not necessary nor is it their business.

Zigner

A "Companion Animal" has been ruled by federal courts to be a service animal. A prescription from your doctor declaring your son disabled as defined by law and that the animal is needed because of the disability should be sufficient. Please note: detailing the disability to the landlord is not necessary nor is it their business.
OP never said a doctor recommended it. The kid wants a dog. A lot of kids want a dog. Not all of them get it.

Alphawolf90

I didn't think it mattered if a doctor recommended it at some point as long as I have the ability to get a prescription detailing that the animal is necessary. We've not had a doctor recommend it; All doctor's do is dish out medications like ditropan and robinol in order to ease the sweating( of which the cessation of sweating is a SIDE-EFFECT in itself ) and OTHER pills for the OCD. Don't tell me that taking psychoactive drugs ala anti-depressants coupled with the above medications is at all safe now or in the long run. If going through life like a drugged-up hippie doesn't count as a disability than I don't know what does. It has impacted his grades, social life, home-life, and everything in-between.

Zigner

I didn't think it mattered if a doctor recommended it at some point as long as I have the ability to get a prescription detailing that the animal is necessary. We've not had a doctor recommend it; All doctor's do is dish out medications like ditropan and robinol in order to ease the sweating( of which the cessation of sweating is a SIDE-EFFECT in itself ) and OTHER pills for the OCD. Don't tell me that taking psychoactive drugs ala anti-depressants coupled with the above medications is at all safe now or in the long run. If going through life like a drugged-up hippie doesn't count as a disability than I don't know what does. It has impacted his grades, social life, home-life, and everything in-between.
As a father of 3 children with emotional difficulties on a par with OCD, I feel for you. However, a dog is not going to fix this.

Alphawolf90

You're probably right, it won't. However, all other options are exhausted. There is literally nothing else we can do. Social events which would help most people with other problems are absolutely traumatizing for him to deal with. He has threatened to kill himself multiple times but done nothing yet, thank god, though I don't feel it will last very long. The extent to which he has suffered and is still suffering is above and beyond even my life as a kid in Brooklyn, and for christ's sake I lost my father at 13. If you know an alternate solution to my problem then please give your opinion, because there is no where to turn. Hell, he even tried out for the basketball team once and couldn't even grip the ball to be able to play and came home practically crying since it was the first thing he had attempted to do since the sweating started. I don't want to lose my son. Additionally, neither me nor my wife are home when the school day ends and so he just sits at home watching T.V. all day by himself. If you were in my position, what would you do?

Last edited:

Zigner

Additionally, neither me nor my wife are home when the school day ends and so he just sits at home watching T.V. all day by himself. If you were in my position, what would you do?
That is unfortunate :(
In my case, I was GREATLY helped because my wife (the kids' step) WAS able to stay at home. My children are in various places on their path's to adulthood, but they wouldn't have had a chance without her loving support.
Have you considered getting your child involved in a more "solo" activity...?
Camping comes to mind.

Also, can your son get involved in a sport that doesn't require the use of hands, like soccer? Or, perhaps swimming, where the condition really wouldn't matter?

Just some thoughts...

Just Blue

You're probably right, it won't. However, all other options are exhausted. There is literally nothing else we can do. Social events which would help most people with other problems are absolutely traumatizing for him to deal with. He has threatened to kill himself multiple times but done nothing yet, thank god, though I don't feel it will last very long. The extent to which he has suffered and is still suffering is above and beyond even my life as a kid in Brooklyn, and for christ's sake I lost my father at 13. If you know an alternate solution to my problem then please give your opinion, because there is no where to turn. Hell, he even tried out for the basketball team once and couldn't even grip the ball to be able to play and came home practically crying since it was the first thing he had attempted to do since the sweating started. I don't want to lose my son. Additionally, neither me nor my wife are home when the school day ends and so he just sits at home watching T.V. all day by himself. If you were in my position, what would you do?
Is moving to a place that allows pets an option? If not ask his Psychiatrist about a therapeutic animal. My lil'one has PDD and I am considering this for her as well...It will help her develop empathy skills.

Just Blue

That is unfortunate :(
In my case, I was GREATLY helped because my wife (the kids' step) WAS able to stay at home. My children are in various places on their path's to adulthood, but they wouldn't have had a chance without her loving support.
Have you considered getting your child involved in a more "solo" activity...?
Camping comes to mind.

Also, can your son get involved in a sport that doesn't require the use of hands, like soccer? Or, perhaps swimming, where the condition really wouldn't matter?

Just some thoughts

Very good thoughts!!!!

There are camps that are especially for teens/children with ASD. You might contact the Agency that handles this in your state. In mine it falls under the Department of Retardation...:mad:...(I hate that...My little one is NOT retarded!!)...

Cvillecpm

You need to call your local fair housing advocacy agency and discuss the doctor's writing a prescription for a dog and maybe the health benefits of having a dog.....THEN, send a copy of the doctor's prescription to the landlord with a letter that you will be getting a dog for your son under the ADA....make sure you have the discussion, get the prescription and then notify the landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">