• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pool not in lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohiocolleen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

We moved into the house in the fall and the Landlord closed the pool. In the spring, the Landlord opened the pool. We had a hard time with chemicals and such with all of the rain throughout the summer, but we really enjoyed the pool. When the salt generator broke, we were told to switch from salt to chlorine(no directions), which we did. We were told that we would have no help to close the pool, and because we had no idea how to do that, we hired a professional. The Landlord asked to be present when we closed the pool, but the pool company came when I wasn't home, and by the time I came home, they were almost done. I called the Landlord and he came out quickly, but the equipment was already disengaged. He did plug in the pumps to make sure they worked (they did). But now the landlord is claiming that because they weren't present, I have to pay to have it opened by a professional that they have hired.

The pool isn't even in the lease. No care instructions are written anywhere, and our first year they closed and opened the pool. Am I obligated to pay for this?

adjusterjack

The pool might not be named in the lease any more than the driveway is named, or the roof is named, or the AC is named, or the kitchen sink is named, etc, etc.

However, when you rent a house you generally rent the entire property.

Whether or not you have to pay for a professional to open the pool depends on the terms and conditions of your lease because, as I told you in your other post, your landlord is exempt from the VA landlord tenant statute if he owns only one property in his own name.

Feel free to post a copy of your lease after redacting any identifying information and you'll get some additional comments.

And, please, stop opening new threads. Your landlord tenant situation is ONE TOPIC regardless of how many different issues you face so please keep it all in one place.

ohiocolleen

The pool might not be named in the lease any more than the driveway is named, or the roof is named, or the AC is named, or the kitchen sink is named, etc, etc.

However, when you rent a house you generally rent the entire property.

Whether or not you have to pay for a professional to open the pool depends on the terms and conditions of your lease because, as I told you in your other post, your landlord is exempt from the VA landlord tenant statute if he owns only one property in his own name.

Feel free to post a copy of your lease after redacting any identifying information and you'll get some additional comments.

And, please, stop opening new threads. Your landlord tenant situation is ONE TOPIC regardless of how many different issues you face so please keep it all in one place.
Thank you so much for your reply. As a frequent reader of this forum, I wonder if my issues really are one thread... I search for specific help, and one long post that encompasses many subjects would be hard to search for.
Just a thought.
I ran across this: https://www.google.com/amp/ask.metafilter.com/219384/Who-is-responsible-for-rental-pool-damage/amp#amph=2

Which is why I inquired about the pool.

Your thoughts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">