• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Portable Washing Machine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

what-ever

Not a lawyer.

It is his property an he can make rules and enforce them. In most states a 30 day notice is required when changing orimposing new rules, but If you insist he might prefer to give you a 30 day notice to vacate provided you are a periodic renter.
Thank you. I now understand the issue with my portable washing machine better. It's a liability issue. I'm will comply with my landlords new rule.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The plumbing pipes also drain the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, and bathtub/showers. What's the difference in the water between those items and my portable washing machine?
The difference is the landlord has said you cannot use it.

Alaska landlord

Thank you for explaining your answer. The real issue is about liability. I get it now. Let me ask you another question regarding smokers. Isn't there liability for the landlord to prevent smokers from their smoke harming the other tenant, not the mention the possibility of starting a fire?
That would depend on what state you're in. In CA there have been instances where tenants have successfully won their cases against their landlords. I don’t think you will have similar results in NE.

moburkes

Haha! I'm not a dog groomer. I changed my profile just yesterday, after someone accused me of ONLY being an insurance agent. Rest assured, I am one, have been one for years, and hold licenses in my states.

Ozark_Sophist

There is more to it than liability. All the appliances you mentioned use less water and drain water at a lower rate than a washing machine. A toilet uses 1.3 to 1.6 gallons a flush - which is gravity fed. A washing machine mechanically expels a significantly greater amount of water in a short time. The rush of water can overwhelm the plumbing system vents and force water, sewer gas and/or debris into the vents or out someone elses drain (blow out the standing water in the traps) creating a health hazard.

Cvillecpm

Unless you rented your apartment because the building is DESIGNATED as a NO SMOKING building, then you have no recourse if the landlord allows smokers in other units in the building.

Let your landlord know of your displeasure and move when your lease expires.

FarmerJ

YOu never mentioned if your lease says that the portable units are allowed or not. If its not addressed of course your LL can choose to refuse to renew your lease and youll have to move , if you fail to remove the machine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">